Question Thousands of dead fish - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

ive got some videos and pics of them. Ill post some up tonight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by golfs321 View Post
    ive got some videos and pics of them. Ill post some up tonight.
    Please send all pics and videos to Lee Tolliver. I have been talking with him about this.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Will do! And this thread should have been titled tens of thousands of dead fish...

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I think we all ought to report and photograph these things, and alert the press, so maybe, hope against hope, somebody in Reidville--not naming any names--will get taught some manners.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

go ahead

Get Andy Fox from Wavy 10 all over em'!!!

no you need a real reporter not some TV hack. That guy is pathetic.

Hopefully Obama will shed his grace and extend Obamacare to fish too! (Disclaimer: this is a joke, don't blow me up)

How can you catch a fish if there's so much easy food to be had ?

In this mornings paper:

VIRGINIA BEACH

Dead menhaden found floating off the coast of Cape Henry may be connected to a Friday incident near Smith Island, according to the Virginia Marine Resources Commission.

A vessel with the fish-processing company Omega Protein caught more menhaden than it could carry and rolled about 30,000 of the small, silvery fish back into the ocean off the eastern side of the Eastern Shore, said Rob O'Reilly, chief of fisheries management for the commission.

When an Omega Protein vessel pulls in more than it can haul, the vessel radios others to come collect the excess fish, company spokesman Ben Landry said. But all boats were already full Friday night, he said.

The fish were alive when they were put back into the water.

Some local fishermen reported seeing dead menhaden floating near Cape Henry over the weekend - some of them missing heads and tails.

O'Reilly said some fish die once they are released because of temperature change or the stress of being contained by a net. As for the missing body parts, he said, menhaden are a good forage fish for other species, and it's likely that sea creatures have been nibbling on them.

"Menhaden is the favorite food source for a lot of different fish out there," O'Reilly said.

Omega estimates a couple thousand of the fish died, Landry said.

The company reported the incident to the Marine Resources Commission and has been tracking the fish by airplane. The Texas-based company, which has a plant in Reedville, processes the fish into health supplements, fish oil and pet food.

Most of the dead fish already have sunk, and none have washed ashore, O'Reilly said. The incident does not pose a threat to humans or animals, he said.
    Last edited by mfix; 07-01-2014 at 04:54 AM.

I don't buy that they were alive when put back or that all of them were decaptitated by creatures. The proof is all the dead ones. The captains should know that they will be pulling in more than they can handle and work the nets accordingly--and if they can't, then pass on that final haul when almost full.

Can I dump my over-the-limit flounder or stripers if my friends won't come get them?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast