Tidal Fish Forum banner

Pilot House Boats

Question 
30K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  cookiemonster1 
#1 ·
My son and I are considering a pilot house as our next boat. We thought that a pilot house would have many benefits such as a dry ride in cooler weather, porta-pottie for the ladies and more storage. There are several nice brands out there. Parker & Steiger have a 21 degree dead rise. I have read several posts on another forum that pilot house models ride rough due to all the weight forward.

Also I have read that the extended engine mounts are much better than a motor mounted in a transom which is cut out.

Anyone out there with a pilot house with any input on the qualities good and bad on pilot house boats.

Thanks in advance.

Line Sider

#3 · (Edited)
Lots of comments as I have owned 2 now and wouldn't consider another layout for the region.

Pilot houses are great for fishing the area all year. They offer a good deal of cockpit space for fishing and good protection from the weather. Down side is the helm is towards the bow to achieve the cockpit space and weather protection. This means you may have to ride at more modest speeds for a comfortable ride. Given that most in the Chesapeake are running more than 20-30miles to the fishing grounds on a given day, the speed sacrifice is worth the layout advantages to fish in comfort all year. You don't lose much time getting there. There is a reason the layout is very popular in this area.

Deep V vs mod v doesn't make as big of difference in the bay as it does with offshore swells as the goal is to get the boats running level in the chop so you lengthen the running surface. (ocean-more hull comes out of the water in swells) Plus You are still riding forward on the boat. I personally prefer the stability and economy of the mod v. I think you will find most Parker owners in the bay have chosen the mod v hulls and that brand offers both hull configurations.

There are lots of good brands out there. Steiger, Parker, Judge, Maycaft, C-Hawk, Sportcraft, etc. All have their little layout and construction differences that set them apart. Check them all out for yourself to see what is important to you.

Personally I chose local builder Judge Yachts for a variety of reasons.
  • Factory direct with local builder
  • can customize to my preferences
  • power choices
  • Level deck to helm with no step down to trip over
  • worry free composite construction
  • extended top for added weather protection
  • Open back to keep cool in the summer and not like a bus driver
  • great resale value if I ever go to sell (not competing with a bunch of others on the market)
  • etc.

Good luck with your search. They are all good brands. You just have to find what fits your fancy the best!

#4 ·
From what I've read and what a friend who owned a full transom hull told me,A notched out transom is easier to back into a slip as opposed to a bracket mount because it's tight to the boat.Offshore fishing is hindered because you need surf rods to wrestle large fish around a bracket drive..A wave gate on a notched out transom when opened can evacuate a flooded boat in a few seconds .I had that experience coming through Hatteras inlet once when a rogue wave filled the cockpit when I was in the cabin taking a nap on the way in.I was awoken by a boat filled to our knees.I dropped the wave gate on my 24 Grady,took over the helm and dumped all the water by gunning the engine forward in 2 seconds flat.The 3 passengers I had onboard were astonished how fast the water dumped through the wave gate.I don't know what the outcome would have been with a full transom,waiting for the water to go through the scuppers?I'd rather be in a notched out transom in heavy seas.Have you noticed the tuna/crab boats on TV have no transoms?The water just goes out the transom and doesn't fill up in the cockpit.

#5 · (Edited)
I liked the Parkers and Judge (as well as others mentioned) but found a nice used Steiger Craft 25' Chesapeake last year. Love it so far.

I don't think you will be disappointed with something new. Today, nearly all brands are well built. But there are good deals on used boats if you have patience. I believe the dead-rise is only 14 degrees on mine. The draft is an amazing 13" (not counting motor). Great weather protection for year round use. Its also great in shallow water and has top notch stability for drift fishing. It can start to pound in waves above 1 foot or so (close chop). Luckily it came with trim tabs which really helps to smooth out the ride when the waves build. I can easily make way through waves much bigger than I care to fish in (3-4') as long as speed is reduced. A modified V will allow you to go with less HP and give you better gas mileage if cost is a concern. My friends Deep V is more comfortable in "Small Craft Advisory" conditions. But I do most of my boating and fishing in calmer weather. And, it will get me in safely if the weather kicks up.

I keep it on a lift because it is a little long to fit my marina boatel. Although Steiger lists it as 25 feet, they don't include the bow pulpit or the motor & bracket in the measurement. That puts the overall length around 31-32 ft.

I specifically looked for a closed transom boat because of my safety concerns. But Capt. Nick made an interesting point if you have a transom gate that opens. Everyone likes what they have so don't be swayed. Each has unique pluses & minuses. A weight forward pilot house may tend to pound slightly more than other variations but their owners find it negligible or find a way to compensate. I really like staying dry. Best Wishes with your search.

Attachments

#6 ·
I have a 25 C-Hawk and love it. I have had a 24 wellcraft walk around and CC before and would NEVER go back. Their are some very nice boats out there and you just need to step on each of them to see what fits. I would love to have a Parker but thats a lot more $$ and not a lot of differance for what I wanted. ( Parkers are pretty though) the C-Hawk is for fishing and so I can toss pots on the deck and not worrie about damaging it.

That being said The family loves to cruize around in the evenings and we have a dry ride. In rough weather, well lets say Pilot houses are the only boats out having fun.

TED

#7 ·
You owe it to yourself to check out Judge. I got a 27' in 2011 and haven't looked back. Handles very well and backing down is not really a problem (I've got a bracket). Very comfortable ride and economical to run as well. You can order exactly what you want and not pay for features you don't want. I believe Bill's also got a 2005 model on his lot. They're in Denton. You might be tempted to go with a production line boat because you think a custom boat would cost more - but that could be a big and costly mistake. Judge boats are a great value and customer satisfaction is off the charts. I have no financial relationship with them, just a very happy customer.

- - - Updated - - -

You owe it to yourself to check out Judge. I got a 27' in 2011 and haven't looked back. Handles very well and backing down is not really a problem (I've got a bracket). Very comfortable ride and economical to run as well. You can order exactly what you want and not pay for features you don't want. I believe Bill's also got a 2005 model on his lot. They're in Denton. You might be tempted to go with a production line boat because you think a custom boat would cost more - but that could be a big and costly mistake. Judge boats are a great value and customer satisfaction is off the charts. I have no financial relationship with them, just a very happy customer.

#9 ·
I really don't care what pilot house you buy, you will love it.

I will say this, it's worth your time to go see Bill Judge. Not only can you see the build process, but you won't get pressured to buy!! I looked for about four years before I finally got my 27 Judge.

I have two friends that own 25 MayCraft's and they like their boats as well:).
5th

#10 ·
I had a 1987 privateer 21 pilot house for many years and loved it sold it for a 19cc maycraft to pull around easier.. It didn't turn out to trailer much easier And I regret ever selling it . It was perfect for fishing and crabbing by myself the way I had it set up, and could handle seas similar to 25 + ft boats I have been on. I'll get something similar soon as the privateers are hard to come by or replace.

#25 ·
What is the difference between a pilot house and a cuddy? I always thought a pilot house was like these examples, and what has been listed so far all look like cuddy cabin boats. Just curious.
View attachment 137154
View attachment 137162
So what style of boats are these, the Shamrock and Maritime Skiff? If I were to do an internet search, what would I put in to get only this style? It's a legitimate, honest question. Anybody?

#13 ·
I can't give up the versatility of the Center console. if you are a light takle fisherman, or a fly fisherman, it helps not having all the **** overhead and in front of you.

And I've learned the most folks who compromise in order to have a potty for the ladies find out that their wives have no interest anyway. Then you're stuck with a pilot house. I have several friends with 'em that fish on my boat rather than theirs when they wanna get serious. Cold Weather is mitigated by good clothing.

In the end, if you want a potty, the ability to carry tons of chit, and a warm cabin, a place to take a nap, maybe some tunes and fancy electronics, get a pilot house.

I'd rather focus on the task at hand.

#15 ·
My son and I are considering a pilot house as our next boat. We thought that a pilot house would have many benefits such as a dry ride in cooler weather, porta-pottie for the ladies and more storage. There are several nice brands out there. Parker & Steiger have a 21 degree dead rise. I have read several posts on another forum that pilot house models ride rough due to all the weight forward.

Line Sider
They do ride rough with the PH forward but that is a tradeoff for that huge cockpit. I fish offshore and my back has been causing me problems so the PH was out of the question for me when I purchased my last boat 2 years ago. Like Bfaithful said, you can slow down to 20 mph or so and the ride is more palatable in the tight chop of the bay. I have really enjoyed the 2 parkers that I owned previously,however, I would pick the Judge because of the level deck, no wood construction, and cult like following on the bay. Maybe when I am done fishing the ocean, I'll get a Judge???

I would never ever own a cut transom boat again. I have seen too many of them get overwhelmed with water coming through the cut and go down. The maneuverability benefits (of a cut transom) are easily outweighed by safety concerns.

#16 ·
I own a 2008 parker 2320 witch has a 21 deadrise. I Baught it this time last year I can tell you I could not be more pleased with pretty much all aspects of the boat it is surprisingly cool in the summer with the windows open and will keep you worm and dry in the colder months. As far as the ride goes. I have ben impressed and happy I do not take a beating in raugh seas like I thought I would and was told I would. I also didn't know how I would like the boat going off shore but I have ben very happy with that as well I spent many weekends out in the Washington canyon this summer and it really suprised me how much a difference it make having that pilot house when you are offshore for 12 hour's. Like I said I was sceptical at first but I am totally sold on pilot house boats if you buy one you will be happy -Chris (BIG BREEZY)

Attachments

#17 ·
Regarding the bracket, personally I wouldn't own a boat without a full transom. I think more boats sink due to the cut transom than those that do due to having a full transom. (ie. the Parker that sank at CCNPP the other winter after taking a wave over the transom or the C-hawk in DE bay several winters ago that capsized after the motor hung on the anchor pulling the transom into the seas).
Most of the brands being discussed shed green water over the bow back into the drink and are not likely to fill like a walkround or center console.

The trick to maneuvering a bracketed boat in reverse is to raise the outboard some so the thrust goes under the boat and not against the transom.

Of course reaching around the bracket can be an issue but here in the bay we don't catch smoker fish like tuna or wahoo and most fish can be handled without the motor being a huge issue.

I think all the brands offer both configurations so pick what you like best...

#20 ·
I think more boats sink due to the cut transom than those that do due to having a full transom. (ie. the Parker that sank at CCNPP the other winter after taking a wave over the transom or the C-hawk in DE bay several winters ago that capsized after the motor hung on the anchor pulling the transom into the seas).

Got a pic of that Parker that sank? to each his own but i will never own another boat with a bracket. thing constantly got in the way.

#21 · (Edited)
Got a pic of that Parker that sank? to each his own but i will never own another boat with a bracket. thing constantly got in the way.
See the thread here about it. It was a TF'er who was rescued by Capt Dennis Flemming.
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php/298774-Boat-capsizes-at-ccnpp-today-3-men-overboard

Boat turned out to be a 21 Parker with a cut transom. I saw it at Judge Yachts getting repaired when I was there for service work after it happened.

But your point is valid in some situations. For example I was on a friends 20 seacraft cc heading out an inlet in NJ in Aug after a storm went up the coast years ago. We got dumped in by a breaker. He gunned the motor and the water shed quickly out the cut. Had we been in the boats being discussed, the wave over the bow would have run off the windshield back into the water

#23 ·
I own a 21 foot Parker Pilot house and prior that I had a Grady CC. Two very different boats but both had pros and cons. Regardless of brand there are some things that are constant:

Pro - The pilot house offers protection from weather and for securing gear at the dock.
Pro - The pilot house opens up longer seasons for trolling and other boating activities
Pro - The pilot house gives you a better option for overnighting on the boat. Other large boats have a cuddy and offer that option but not as spacious as a pilot house.
Pro - The pilot house makes my wife feel safer and have more privacy (BIG PRO)

Con - Precision control of a pilot house in the wind is MUCH more difficult. It is half sailboat with the pilot house catching the wind. This could be a fishing condition or docking.
Con - If you are into casting (LTJ or fly fishing) there is less room. If you fish alone and are up on the front of the boat it is a bit of a trip to get back in the pilot house to control the boat. A second station in the rear of the boat helps but it is still slower to get there than on a CC.
Con - Much more boat to clean and wax! There is a lot of fiberglass in a pilot house!

There is no perfect boat for all situations or conditions. I personally will never give up a pilot house. Mine has a notched transom and I have not had any issues. I don't fish conditions where it might be an issue so that might explain why I'm not concerned about it. I have the Deep Vee (21 degree) and it really cuts the waves. Even that has a downside when you are bottom fishing with 2-3 footers it will roll much more than the modified vee.

The bottom line is that you need to get together a list of how you want to use the boat, types of fishing, types of water, number of passengers and work from there. No boat will satisfy all the conditions but certain types will cover more than others. It comes down to personal preference.

Much of the fun of boating is buying the new boat. Much of the torture of owning a boat is making the wrong decision while you are having the fun of buying!

Steve

#24 ·
There are a number of good pilothouse boats out there, but I am partial to my Parker 2520 MVSC.
Mine is a bit unique to this area as it has the (no cost) optional drop curtains on the pilothouse rather than a bulkhead and a door.
With 100 square feet of cockpit, she is a fishing platform.

Attachments

#30 ·
If I were to abandon my 22'Triton CC (deep vee hull) rather than get a pilothouse like a Parker I would go with an express style layout, with the helm area a step up from the cockpit and v-bunks in the bow cabin. I just don't like the feeling of confinement driving a boat from an enclosed forward helm, even with no rear bulkhead. I also would never have a cutout transom--been there, done that, never again.

#31 ·
If I were to abandon my 22'Triton CC (deep vee hull) rather than get a pilothouse like a Parker I would go with an express style layout, with the helm area a step up from the cockpit and v-bunks in the bow cabin.
What you just described is the Parker 2510XL or XLD
http://parkerboats.net/blog/2510-xl-walkaround-new/

I just don't like the feeling of confinement driving a boat from an enclosed forward helm, even with no rear bulkhead.
You should give it a try sometime.
Come out on mine sometime and I'll bet I could change your mind. :thumbup:

#33 ·
Put simply- PH boats are perfect for those who like to ride out of the elements from point a to b. They are great for trolling live lining and fishing on anchor. Cc are better for run and gun fishing and those who prefer to cast.

I like the layout of my maycraft best. It allows everyone (up to 6) to ride in comfort out of the elements and still has a massive fishing deck. Being able to escape the sun is huge. And its open so it never gets hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.