Good Information RI Rock

Thread: RI Rock

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default RI Rock

I've always been one to try and stay open minded about the current state of the striper fishery and have tried to not pin the drastic decline on just one event (menhaden over fishing). And part of that mentality is simply based on the belief that several of our fisheries are very cyclical in nature. So I stopped in the seafood market at Dockside yesterday and saw a large rockfish about to be filleted. I asked where it was from and he said Rhode Island. My understanding is that the fishery is still strong up north. The first thing the fish cleaner does is gut the fish. And guess what pops out of his stomach? A very large menhaden. Interesting and humbling at the same time. Made me question myself and my "belief" of cyclical fisheries...

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've only been fishing for Rockfish for the past 6 years. The Dec. through Feb. Rockfish season was, for me decent, until the year of Hurricane Sandy. The season sucked that year and hasn't come remotely close since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Steez View Post
    I've always been one to try and stay open minded about the current state of the striper fishery and have tried to not pin the drastic decline on just one event (menhaden over fishing). And part of that mentality is simply based on the belief that several of our fisheries are very cyclical in nature. So I stopped in the seafood market at Dockside yesterday and saw a large rockfish about to be filleted. I asked where it was from and he said Rhode Island. My understanding is that the fishery is still strong up north. The first thing the fish cleaner does is gut the fish. And guess what pops out of his stomach? A very large menhaden. Interesting and humbling at the same time. Made me question myself and my "belief" of cyclical fisheries...
    I bet if you had sat around and watched him clean ten more the same scenario would play out. YOu do not find crabs in rockfish and bluefish anywhere except in the chesapeake bay from what i have expereinced. To me that affirms the same belief you are starting notice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nocents View Post
    I bet if you had sat around and watched him clean ten more the same scenario would play out. YOu do not find crabs in rockfish and bluefish anywhere except in the chesapeake bay from what i have expereinced. To me that affirms the same belief you are starting notice.
    As a RI native, I can tell you that stripers feed on crabs and lobsters up there as much as they do anywhere else. Sight fishing the flats with crab patterns is very popular with flyrodders in RI and Massachusetts. BTW - I don't know who's been saying that the fishery is still strong up there, but it's actually been in the toilet for years. Since 2006, the number of fish landed has dropped well over 90% in all the New England states. Except for the usual concentrations on reefs, etc., it's barely worth the trouble. I used to fish well into November, weather permitting, but the last few years I lived up there, I was packing it in by the first week in October.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rally View Post
    I've only been fishing for Rockfish for the past 6 years. The Dec. through Feb. Rockfish season was, for me decent, until the year of Hurricane Sandy. The season sucked that year and hasn't come remotely close since.
    We do have a decline of rock fish over the last 6 years I've been here. But it really dropped the last 2 years, ever since Hurricane Sandy hit there patterns have changed. Large pods of rock fish were 20 to 50 miles offshore last year, some pods holding thousands as reported by Marine Police chopper pilot and other sources. The question is why are they out there and not inshore? I believe Sandy has played a big part in it, but the bigger reason is thats where the bait was. Lets hope there patterns change back and Omega leaves some bait for them this year..

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

My family all lives on the east end of Long Island and they are saying this year, the menhaden is way off in the ocean and so are the rockfish chasing them. My brother is doing OK on his catches but he doesn't like running offshore to chase them and is fishing the inlets at East Moriches and Shinnecock for the fish tracking closer to shore.

Fish are out there it is just that thier migration patterns changed after sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rally View Post
    Fish are out there it is just that thier migration patterns changed after sandy.
    Well since the hurricanes the last couple of years have been far offshore, maybe that will push them back into range!

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

After growing up on the Chesapeake and then coming up to Long Island for school (United States Merchant Marine Academy), I have seen quite a bit of both fisheries. There is a phenomenal difference between the two. Up here, there is no such thing as not being able to find fresh bait. There are adult bunker pods EVERYWHERE and the blues and rockfish are very well fed it seems. I've been up here for 3 summers now, and with the exception of last summer, the fishing for rockfish and chopper blues has been very consistent and healthy and it has paralleled a very plentiful bunker population. I have had much better luck catching large migratory rockfish in New York than I've ever had fishing for those same fish in the Chesapeake bay in the winter.