Good Information If fishing alone and you catch and release a citation fish, you better take good pictures
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Unhappy If fishing alone and you catch and release a citation fish, you better take good pictures

On 10-10-14 I caught and released a 47" Red Drum around the third island, I took 4 pictures and showed the pictures to Lynnhaven Boatel Weight Master, he gave me the necessary paperwork to fill out and once he verified I did not have the fish on the boat and looked at the pictures, he signed the certification block and said he would mail them in. Well today I found a letter from Va saltwater fishing tournament director stating they denied my 47" red drum citation because I did not include my pictures. They sent me their tournament rule book stating I did not include my pictures based upon Rule 1 (f) states when you are alone you have to provide and include a clear picture showing the fish and ruler. The letter you sign states "I agree to the application of all tournament rules to this catch and agree to be bound by these rules". Who knew??? If you did not know this rule, NOW YOU DO.

You would think having the weighmaster’s certification signature would be enough but they are making it hard. I showed him my pictures and it clearly shows 47". The weight master certification is one of the two things you have to do, no where on the form states that a picture is also required to be sent in. I think it is a bunch of crap but I do have my pictures and will call them tomorrow and send them in since that is what they say I have to do.

The lesson learned is if you want a citation you need to take really good pictures showing the fish and ruler and hope the fish does not die while you are taking them and or get someone to lie and say they were on the boat with you so you can take a really quick picture and get the fish back in the water.

You would think that Va saltwater fishing tournament #one goal would be to make it as easy as possible for an honest person to get their citation so that they can quickly release the fish alive.

I am 56 and this is the first fishing citation I applied for by catching a fish that met the size requirement. If my pictures do not meet their expectation of quality (I am not Jet Ski Brian and have $1000 camera, I used a cell phone camera) and they do not accept them, then I will be out of luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

This has nothing to do with picture quality. your pictures were good enough for the weighmaster you just did not send them in.

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. They do need to be clearer on rules. I agree that it's stupid. A picture for the weighmaster should be sufficient just as the scale reading is sufficient.
    Last edited by cuhollow; 10-28-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Rarely fish alone, so never been in the situation, but I had assumed that the weightmaster looked at the pics and once signed that was that. They are trusted with verifying the weight on a scale, would assume they can be trusted to verify a pic of a fish on a ruler.

I suppose after fishing you might need to take a trip to the house and print your picture?

Maybe you could just post to FB and tag the chairman of the fishing tournament in the pic? lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Congratz on your Red scratch . Don't sweat the pic , send it in get your paper . Good info for those that didn't realize it .

witness or pic! send in the pic theyll give it to you

I called VRC and got a e-mail address and sent them my pictures.

Good news, I got a reply e-mail a short while later telling me the pictures I took shows that the fish meets the length requirements and they accepted them and I will be getting the credit for the catch and release citation Red Drum.

I was also told they send out a lot of these reject letters because people do not include the pictures with the application when someone is fishing by themselves. They are looking into adding a block on the form to include if you were fishing alone, then to include the pictures of the catch and ruler next to them or something along this line when you send it in.

I hope that while posting this someone who read it will not have to go thru this like I did or miss out on a citation.

While it's ultimately your responsibility to know the rules I put the blame on your troubles with the weighmaster whom job it is to know the rules. Clearly they didn't or they would've known to include a copy of your pic with your citation form as it clearly states in the rule book. Glad to hear you were able to straighten it out!!! :)

Congrats Terry. Sure would like to have you post the picture here!

Nick CC28 "PUMPKIN"

I would like to post on here but do not have a clue how. Since you have a picture of your nice ride, maybe you can point me in the correct direction. World series getting ready to start so I'll try tomorrow, gotta go.