PP do you know anything about . . . . . . .
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default PP do you know anything about . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . the new store which has open up in the old Airway Shopping Center? There are signs out by old Rt. 58 which say Guns and Ammo for sale. Went into the shopping center today and found which store it is but being New Years Day he was closed. I'm wondering if he works on guns also. I need a gunsmith to look at my 11-87; it's still not working. Was going to use my old square back Browning tomorrow but WalMart did not have any 12ga, 2 3/4", steel shot. Went to Dale's and they did not have any either but did have 20ga., 3", #2 steel shot. I have a pump that will shoot a 3", 20ga so I purchased a box. LOL I haven't shot a pump in over 45 years and I bet you I still only get one shot off with the pump. Since King's Gun Shop closed up the only other gunsmith I know of is Don Roberts over in Whaleyville.

Acey

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I went in there, he doesn't have much but does sale steel shot and 22s he had a mossberg 930 with a ported barrel I liked. I do not know if he works on guns but I'd check with revolver armorer in driver.

Thanks Bennett I might try them tomorrow. I'll give Don a call in the morning after hunting and if no luck with him I'll try them. Did you hunt today? Gene and I went to the blind and we did see a few ducks flying with the only ones within shooting range were too early; about 10 minutes. The swamp was iced over. What's the deal with Julian and his farm. I see they have put up posted sings all over the place. Have you had a chance to hunt your new blind there yet?

Acey

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Yes I've hunted the new blind, took a fall while setting decoys at 530am... Was a miserable hunt. I deer hunted today behind the house, had one close but no shot. Saw a good group of mallards come over the woods, gonna give the ducks a go Saturday.

A new problem with my 11-87 developed. The darn bolt won't lock back in an open position along with not ejecting the fired shell. After hunting yesterday morning with the 20 ga. pump; got home, eat something and left for Driver. Called first to make sure they were open. Found the shop in the back building on the Titian Contracting lot and it seemed like a nice set up. Took the gun inside and met Kevin one of the owners. After telling him the problems I was having with it he removed the forestock and found immediately that the seal O ring was not in the proper placement position. My fault when cleaning the gun did not assemble in proper place. That fixed the shell ejection problem. As to the bolt not locking back he said I had a small part of the trigger assembly broke and the easiest way to correct the problem was to order in a whole new trigger assembly. He said the part would be about $140.00 and $50.00 for them to install and give the gun a complete inspection. I told Kevin I'd wait till we got our tax return and how much did I owe him for his service. Kevin said no charge for today, he was glad the ejection problem wasn't anything else. When I got home I looked at the 11-87 manual and found I can order parts for the gun directly from Remington. After I get something to eat I'm going to go on line and see what the trigger assembly will cost me if I buy it direct from Remington. Did use it today and fired 3 shots at a duck with no problem with the ejection of the spent shell.

Acey

Oh, do I have to tell you both Gene and I missed the sucker. He was directly overhead and when we first shot he just went into a stall mode just hanging there. That is when we emptied our guns at him; he then just flew away. Did I tell you all that I hate steel shot. We knew he was a little high but not out of range and know he was hit but the steel shot just don't have the knock down power of lead. There are probably more ducks shot at and fly off only to die of their wounds from steel shot then those who die from eating lead shot off the bottom of these swamps.

Acey
    Last edited by ACC; 01-03-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Acey Im glad you got the gun operable. I was gonna ask you if you wanted to borrow one, I've got four 12 gauges. I took my 15 y/o cousin yesterday. We had woodducks in the spread before shooting time... Let them swim, had a pair of mallards work only to land 100 yds out. Had a group of ringers buzz by low, yanked the Jerk cord and gave em a comeback call and they turned on a dime and locked up. First shot of the morning I dropped a drake ringer right next to my mojo. Few minutes later a hen mallard dropped in the spread. I told my cousin to jump him up and shoot, he pops up and yells the duck just looks and I'm laughing he is yelling I'm about to cry laughing as he swims away. Few minutes later another group of ringers dropped in they were about 10' off the water. And 15 yds out, I told Andrew to take em,I stayed seated. he popped up and boom dropped one. He was very excited, I was like why didn't you take two more shots? Haha anyways we got back to the house and we both cleaned out ducks.. It was his first time cleaning a duck, he was not fond of the fowl smell.

I was reading an article in DU magazine that says 'four deadly decoy mistakes' #1 was leaving decoys out. Says you have to work alot harder to get attention with a permanent spread. I have noticed if I used a half dozen geese dekes and a few divers out at 45-50 yds and mallards,gadwall in at 10-12 yds with two butt ups in the middle on a jerk cord it makes all the decoys look like the are moving but eliminates birds landing outside the spread, they'll work right into the landing strip between the divers geese and mallards. I leave a wide berth from 15-30yds and put one mojo in that hole to the near side and if they commit its right where I want them.

Now I'm far 'perhaps the furthest' thing from an expert but I think those geese ad divers act as a discouraging decoy it keeps the water locked up where they can land out of range, if they are going to commit they want the open water I've designated. Andy take a post out there drive it in the water at 25-30 yds. Tie a paracord to it , tie a big long worn in bungee cord to it then paracord to the other side, set a log or thread it through a brick to hold the cord down, tie some loops in it to connect decoys and bring the cord up through the floor and tie it off to the wall. Now yank on that thing when they turn and you call. They just can't stand it.

And the no trespassing signs are probably because they went out of town for Christmas.

Do wish we had some geese decoys to put out with our spread. Think Biker Bob has 4 or 6 still in the box over in his garage. Gone to ask him the next time I see him if we can use them for the rest of the season. Probably make me a jerk line later today or tomorrow. Brennan is home till the 14th or so but his Dad want's him to work with his Uncle some to get some spending money to go back to school with. I see an opening I'll give you a call and maybe we can get in a morning hunt one day when the weather isn't going to allow you to work.

Acey

Just received this email from Remington this morning concerning my 11-87. Mr. Clayton,

The part number for the trigger assembly is F112111 it costs $122.95 plus shipping and tax. It will fit your model, it is currently on backorder, we are out of stock. You can call in and place an order but it will go on backorder and ship out to you when it comes in stock.

Last time I check my "New Duck Decoy" thread it was somewhere over 7,000 views. Seems like this ordering a trigger assembly for my shot gun is starting out about the same way as the ordering the plastic corn in that thread. Oh, PP; forgot to tell you when I stopped by your job today I did stop by the new gun store in the Airways Shopping Center and talked to the owner. Yes, he works on guns and even will make some parts. Said for me to bring the gun by his shop and let him look at it. Think I will before ordering the new trigger assembly.

Acey