Good Information 2015 Spring season regulations

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default 2015 Spring season regulations

There is a rumor around that the DNR has been asked to reconsider the 1 fish 36" or bigger proposal for the Maryland Trophy season. Supposedly there has been another option presented to DNR of 1 fish 28-36" with possibly 1 fish being allowed over something in the area of 50" incase it's a State record sized fish. Supposedly the some charter guys and CCA aren't real happy about Maryland going after the bigger female fish. Heard MSSA management is against the new proposal and wants to keep it at 36" and up.
    You guys hear anything about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

First of all, I haven't heard anything about this, so I am just giving an opinion. If I read your post correctly, you imply that "charter guys and CCA aren't real happy about Maryland going after the bigger female fish".
    I can't see Charter Captains and CCA both agreeing on this point. A size limit of 28-36 would not benefit Charters. Most of our fish last year were 37-40 inches. If Charters had to throw these fish back, there wouldn't be many customers. I can see CCA wanting these size limits. First, we don't see too many migratory stripers in this range (bigger fish produce more eggs); and second, many of the 28-32 inch fish are males!!
    As a strictly conservation effort, a lower size limit would make sense, but it would cause havoc among the Charters.

Finally, (here I go again); this would fly in the face of all the attempted restrictions for C/R (which is total BS). Groups keep trying their best to either restrict or shut down PSCR in Maryland. One of their main concerns is that catching pre-spawn fish will cause them to either abort eggs, or places so much stress on them, that somehow breeding is interrupted (again, nothing supports this hypothesis).
    If C/R is sooooooo harmful, why would these groups (and DNR) support releasing the larger fish They would have some "splainin" to do (especially to me).
    5th

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
    First of all, I haven't heard anything about this, so I am just giving an opinion. If I read your post correctly, you imply that "charter guys and CCA aren't real happy about Maryland going after the bigger female fish".
    I can't see Charter Captains and CCA both agreeing on this point. A size limit of 28-36 would not benefit Charters. Most of our fish last year were 37-40 inches. If Charters had to throw these fish back, there wouldn't be many customers. I can see CCA wanting these size limits. First, we don't see too many migratory stripers in this range (bigger fish produce more eggs); and second, many of the 28-32 inch fish are males!!
    As a strictly conservation effort, a lower size limit would make sense, but it would cause havoc among the Charters.

Finally, (here I go again); this would fly in the face of all the attempted restrictions for C/R (which is total BS). Groups keep trying their best to either restrict or shut down PSCR in Maryland. One of their main concerns is that catching pre-spawn fish will cause them to either abort eggs, or places so much stress on them, that somehow breeding is interrupted (again, nothing supports this hypothesis).
    If C/R is sooooooo harmful, why would these groups (and DNR) support releasing the larger fish They would have some "splainin" to do (especially to me).
    5th
    It always boils down to whose Ox is being gored!

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber iFishMD's Avatar

Lots of rumors. Probably best to follow the meetings. With a recent admin change for the state and new secretary of DNR, anything can happen

SFAC meeting is next week: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/ca...ent.asp?id=859

ASMFC winter meeting: http://www.asmfc.org/files/Meetings/...dBassBoard.pdf
    Charter Fishing/Reports: www.iFishMD.com