Tidal Fish Forum banner

Oil Change for 225 Yamaha 4 stroke

15K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  frogboat 
#1 ·
I've got a 2002 Yamaha 225 four stroke and the owner's manual calls for an oil change every 100 hrs.

Some guys I have spoken to mention that they only change the oil at the beginning of the season only. I currently have 125 hrs this season. Is it worth pulling the boat to get serviced or should I wait until the end of the season to do it when it gets winterized. I estimate I'll probably burn another 50 hrs this season, which will total about 175 hrs without an oil change.

Comments would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I would follow manufacturers recommended service as stated in the owners manual. If you have a problem and can produce documentation there service guidelines were followed then there will be no questions asked. Otherwise you may be in for a fight. To me not worth the chance.

#3 ·
175 hours may be pushing it.

It is easy to do yourself. I change oil, filter and lower unit oil myself every 100 hours and have the dealer do the full service at 200 hours. I do not know if you have looked at your crankcase oil lately but it gets really black in 100 hours. Some guys on THT change it at 50 hours but I think that is overkill. 50 hrs is one week's fishing for me at Montauk, where I let my engine run all day chasing albies, blues and stripers.

As Wayne said, you may be facing warranty issues if you let it go that long.

#4 ·
Do it now and again at the end of the season. Don't let old oil sit over the winter - Sulphuric acid builds up in your oil over time - it's not good to let it sit in there.

I'd say you've got enough hours now to consider using Mobil1, but you may not be interested.

Consider an impeller change and check the plugs and thermostats too.

#5 ·
I have twin 200 4 strokes and do the oil and lower units every 50 hrs and the filters at 100 hrs which is half the manf recs.

Yamaha has a great warranty BUT you must produce service records to prove you have done required service. If you are a do it yourself kinda guy, save your receipts.

Don't forget Yamaha recs 10W/40 when the temp is over 85 degrees.

#7 ·
I wanted to use Mobile 1 after break in but my dealer told me flatly that Yamaha does not recommnd synthetic oil. Something about it collecting and holding moisture. Have no real technical info that is the case, but the dealer does the change at 200 hours with regular oil. Do not want to mix types of oil. I do the 100 hour myself and use a good grade of 10w-30 that exceeds Yamaha's certification standards. I use Mobile but there are many good ones.

#10 ·
Pax-

You very well could be correct about Yamaha. You either trust your dealer or you do not. Reading THT like we both do, you can see that many do not trust their dealers. I have been very fortunate with Harvey and Tri-State. No complaints with two Parkers over five years. Two stokes and four strokes--so far so good.

I do not care if gg runs vegetable oil like Jane Fonda's bus.

#12 ·
i got the first f225 that came to va in 2001. i called yamaha about using mobil1 and they said no synthetic. they told me the oil reduced friction and caused the engine to run too cool to get proper combustion. guess thats 1 good thing and 1 bad. since then i saw where a lot of guys on tht were using synthetics so i called again. got the same answer. low running temp and more buildup in combustion chambers. i am sticking with yamahalube

frog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.