Fishing Report Sat/Sun
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
    New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Fishing Report Sat/Sun

Looked like the weekend was going to be a bust. Rain was supposed to start at 5 a.m. on Saturday morning and there was supposed to be a small craft advisory on Sunday. Woke up about 8 a.m. on Saturday and there was no rain the revised forecast now said rain starting at 11 a.m.

Left out of the G.Wicomico and saw a whole lotta nothing.... no bait no fish and no birds. Rode out to the Northern Neck reef and found a couple of charter boats and others chumming. Trolled the area and caught 4 fish, all on Chartreuse Stretch 25's. 2 keepers 20-22 inches. Tried to beat the rain coming in...failed miserably,

Sunday afternoon it finally looked like it was laying down. I headed out solo about 2pm. It was rougher than I realized but I slowly made my way to the reef. Started trolling and then mother nature's fish finders showed up. Chased birds and fish for the next hour, caught 2 keepers and several throw backs jigging. I'd rather be lucky than good....

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Saturday around #8 was amazing- 73 fish between two of us, not one bigger than 19 3/4"!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1625004975.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	188057

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2523092921.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	188065

Ricochet

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Nice report. I also tried to catch the better weather windows over the weekend. Left the G. Wicomico on Saturday morning and jigged up one keeper and several undersized rockfish in the Bay. I made it back to the marina just at it started to rain. Sunday afternoon we stayed in the river and picked up several undersized rockfish trolling with light tackle.

Lots of fish below and around the minimum size this year. Here is one of my "just barely under's".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	short.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	188081

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I was jigging/trolling at NN reef Saturday for about 2 hours. 24' Albemarle with outriggers. It was slow but I managed two healthy but slightly undersized fish on my light trolling gear - some tandem bucktails and storm shads. Nothing hit the stretch 25 I had out.

It dumped on us but we stayed dry. My first season with this boat, never again will I go without a hard top and 3 sided enclosure...

I ran over to the mouth of the rapp in the early afternoon and marked TONS of bait and a few times, big schools of stripers. Tried everything I had for an hour, but they were not feeding. There were a few lazy birds around, they seemed to be waiting on the bite to turn on.