Tidal Fish Forum banner

Boat launch facilities vic of Lewes, DE

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  granpafish 
#1 ·
It's been some time since I trailered from WDC to fish Delaware Bay, but I'll probably do it a couple of times in the coming year. What's the best way to go with launch ramps around Lewes: pay the Delaware state fee and use a public ramp or use a private facility? Can anyone in the TF community suggest a good private ramp in the vicinity of Lewes?
Thanks.

-grady rat

#3 ·
It depends on how often you plan to fish out of Lewes. You can purchase a daily ramp pass from Lewes Harbor Marina, accross the canal from the public ramp. I think their ramp fee is $20 / day. Although it's pricey, the ramp is never crowded.
The other option is to purchase a ramp pass from the state @ $50/year for unlimited usage.

#7 ·
[q]pretty sure it's $35 for an out-of-state ramp permit for Delaware.
I buy one every year. If a private ramp costs you 20 bucks a pop, the sticker is obviously cheaper to use. (as long as you go twice or more!) [/q]

Good info and advice!

#9 ·
[Q]cmason164 originally wrote:
Why not just register your boat in DE. Then you can use the ramps all you want, plus you wont have to pay personal property tax on the boat every year.
[/Q]

Is that right? Since my boat is registered in DE I can launch at any public ramp in DE? I had never heard that...

Thanks,
TED

#11 ·
TedJ101 & Jal,

Yes, if your BOAT is registered in Delaware, you can launch at any Delaware "State" launch ramp. It doesn't matter where your trailer or truck is registered; you can stll park at the ramp without being ticketed.
I live in PA where my vehicles are registered, but my boat is registered in Delaware because "that is where I use it most often".

CB

#12 ·
[Q]CroixBoy originally wrote:
TedJ101 & Jal,

Yes, if your BOAT is registered in Delaware, you can launch at any Delaware "State" launch ramp. It doesn't matter where your trailer or truck is registered; you can stll park at the ramp without being ticketed.
I live in PA where my vehicles are registered, but my boat is registered in Delaware because "that is where I use it most often".

CB
[/Q]

I didn't know that! Many thanks...

I live in DE so my truck and trailer are registered here too...

Best,
TED

#14 ·
[Q]BigWillJ originally wrote:
[Q]cmason164 originally wrote:
......plus you wont have to pay personal property tax on the boat every year.
[/Q]
Who has to do that?!

[/Q]

I can't speak for other states, but back when I lived in MA, there was a personal property tax on boats (6.6% in those days) -- cars too (that's in addition to sales/use tax and registration fees). They don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing[grin]!

TED

#15 ·
It has been some time since I checked on this but the federal law is (was) that your boat shall be registered in the state whose waters it was used the most. I can't imagine anyone ever enforcing that rule but it does give you a good argument for registering in a state other than your own if there are advantages. In my case, for many years, to be in compliance with the federal regs, I should have registered my 16"er in DC. That was never gonna happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.