Tidal Fish Forum banner

Flats fish ?

5K views 41 replies 25 participants last post by  ed robinson 
#1 ·
Flats fish ?

I can't understand why someone isn't catching a few stripers on the flats. Maybe they are not talking?
Anyway I keep reading reports from Sandy Hook & Raritan Bay. Fish up to 15lbs are being caught on Clams.
I think most are local fish. Also that the Hudson has a lot of spawning fish. I think less & less stripers are coming from the Susky flats. At one time it was the major spawning grounds.
Looking for opinions on this thought
I am going to try the flats in the next couple days. Maybe I can start something. :)
Les who did not catch a striper this year!

#3 ·
Flats fish ?

Les, I think everyone is waiting for you to report.

Besides, the last person that posted he caught fish on the flats got lambasted by severl members of this board, for bragging.

It does make you think before reporting anything anymore.

Ele

#4 ·
Flats fish ?

AAAAAA, just let the reports rip. Thats what we are here for. My goodness, charter captains here are giving up their spreads and locations. I cant wait to contribute a report, maybe it will help a few find fish. Just show some respect if it gets crowded.

Mrs. Ele, I got to get up to your shop soon and if I could, I'd take that Bertram off your hands. See you soon.

#6 ·
Flats fish ?

Les,
I got into fish up there two weeks ago in numbers that I have not seen in 5 years . Since then, the weather has flat out sucked. I got beat up & skunked last week. It has been blowing 15+ for the past 10 days. I have looked out from turkey point a time or two & saw zero boats. I don't think to many people are fishing in the slop.

#9 ·
Flats fish ?

Yesterday and today, I looked out to the flats and the water is a little muddy looking.. I saw a report from someone in Harrisburg PA that said "look out flats here comes the muddy water" and they were right.. Hope it clears up soon. The wind isn't helping either..

#11 ·
Flats fish ?

bkelly posted our results from last Saturday. In case you missed it here is a quick summary:

Wind was REALLY blowing, we tried jigging for a little while and only got one fish. We anchored up near Sandy Point and caught two on herring. Biggest was 9lbs (that was my fish). Water temps ranged from 46 to 50 degrees. Also caught three catties on bait.

#12 ·
Flats fish ?

You can bet the water temp is closer to 45 than 50 now. I wish I had something to report. I hit it once last week for a couple hrs and couldnt stir a hit except some pecking from what I think were perch. Saw Bill and he didnt have much to report but anticipation. I may run out there for a looksee this weekend. Good luck Les.

#16 ·
Flats fish ?

It's just been too windy to bother right now for me. I'm going to run out this Sunday and give it a shot. I'll post with a report (hopefully a catching report) but the dip in the water temp. usually shuts them down even if they are there.

#17 ·
Flats fish ?

The main stem of the bay is @ 44 [sad]. The flats can't be more than 46 at best .. remember that the cold nights will drop the shallow water back down to the low 40's.

Even with the March sun it may warm up during the day to @48 but will drop back down overnight..

The 15 day outlook is for a brief warm up late next week, but then it tanks all the way thru April 5 . High's mid 40's with lows down to 25.

I asked for this weather.. This should slow down the big girls .. Hopefully the spawn will peak @ 1st week of May[grin].

Pray[angel] for light rains no gully washers[sad].

It should get going @ 1 st week of April

#18 ·
Flats fish ?

The main stem of the bay is @ 44 [sad]. The flats can't be more than 46 at best .. remember that the cold nights will drop the shallow water back down to the low 40's.

Even with the March sun it may warm up during the day to @48 but will drop back down overnight..

The 15 day outlook is for a brief warm up late next week, but then it tanks all the way thru April 5 . High's mid 40's with lows down to 25.

I asked for this weather.. This should slow down the big girls .. Hopefully the spawn will peak @ 1st week of May[grin].

Pray[angel] for light rains no gully washers[sad].

It should get going @ 1 st week of April

Phil (lily)[grin]

#21 ·
Flats fish ?

[Q]Ele originally wrote:

Besides, the last person that posted he caught fish on the flats got lambasted by severl members of this board, for bragging.

[/Q]

It's ridiculous why are folks even on this board if every time someone reports they're gonna give them a hard time. That's not what this is about. I understand the whole not giving the exact location thing and I never do but to say whether or not the flats is happening is another story. Anyone that has a problem with that type of reporting is on the wrong website. We all work towards the same goal here and that's becoming better anglers. I always note the "lambasters" and also remember to bne sure not to help them when they are asking for help.

-Evans

#25 ·
Flats fish ?

I'm totally serious. I'm not budgin from my couch 'till you guys tell me you're gettin' em. Or, the Hell with the flats I'll go somewhere else. I'm too lazy to keep going and find fish for myself. I'm trusting one of you guys to help me know exactly when me and my equally fishing-impaired buddies and our boats should invade the flats. I hate to burst your bubble, but there are thousands of "sportsman" like me out here. Instant information! God Bless the internet for helping us lazy fisherman! [smile][grin][wink][tongue][sad][shy][angel][excited]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.