Tidal Fish Forum banner

SOSpenders Lifevest unplanned field test -Potomac River

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  johnh 
#1 ·
Had planned to fish today for Walleye at Dam 4 on upper Potomac river. Went out with buddy and his brand new rod and reel. Took his 16 foot canoe, and made it across the first 20 feet of slackwater just fine! Then hit the 40 foot wide tailrace current. I have been across this sucker many times in my 14 foot Jon boat. But when that current hit the first 4 feet of that canoe, it shot it sideways so quickly that it effectivly just shot it out from under us, since we did not accelerate near as fast. I went in head first and was spun under by the fast water, and had no sense of which way was up. I had debated wheather to put on my regular vest or the SOSpenders (manual Model). I was wearing a pair of glacier gloves that made feeling the cord difficult, but I ran my hand down the vest and the handle was right there in my hand. I was still somewhere near upside down at this time, since I was looking at rocks moving away from me, and I pulled the handle as a continuing motion of trying to find it. That sucker was fast ,loud, and wierd feeling as it kind of hugged me. The vest turned me upright and when I felt the rocks hitting my shins I tried to stand up and get some air. The rocks under my feet seemed to be all slime since I had regular boots on, not felt like I always normally wear. When I tried to stand I came up under the upside down canoe and hit my head on the seat. My eyes were clear of the water, but the seat kept my mouth under the water. I then procedded to take in a lungfull of water which for the first time caused me to start to panic, since a lungfull of water is far worse than a lung full of depleated air. I had a hard time getting back under water due to the bouyancy of the vest, but managed to get out from under it . I was sputtering trying to get the water out and some air in, all the time failing to get a firm foot hold on the bottom. Half swam the canoe into the shallows and got up and checked my buddy who was near shore and checking on me prior to hustling after his wallet and cellphone in his drybag. All of my gear some how stayed with the boat, and only thing missing was a third of my beloved St. Croix rod. My buddys new rod was gone though, and after getting somewhat composed we waded back out to find it. This is when I suddenly felt the cold, adrenalin was gone. Went back to his house and got warm and for him dry, although I was wearing mutiple layers of synthetic clothing (fleece) and once I got out of the water I felt absolutly warm compared to the heat loss while in it. My buddy put on his heavy waders and we went back down and quickly retrieved an absolutly unblemished brand new rod and reel from the water. Sorry to go on so long, but it was a hell of a day, and while the SOSpenders saved my Arse today, I think I will put on the traditional vest next time. I do not Know if I got lucky finding the handle so fast, but I sure had enough on my mind otherwise. Next time this will be a feeshing report! [angel][angel]

See less See more
#3 ·
Its funny that the water was not such a shock to my system, I felt it but was thinking it should be cold enough to hurt, what was wierd was how warm I felt when I got out. I am a hurtin pup now, many muscle groups not happy with the twisting and stumbling. A little more medicinal brandy perhaps!

#4 ·
Thank God you found that cord. Try the auto inflatable next time, if you hit your head we'd be reading about you now. I know what you mean about the water not shocking you. I used to fall thru the ice all the time back when I was a goose hunting guide and I would never feel it until I was out and safe. So did you see any walley while you were under there?[excited] Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mike

#6 ·
PFD's are mandetory on the river and not even a choice when water is cold, I had two with me and decided on the SOSpenders at the last minute due to casting method. Been thinking that if the vest failed to inflate the optional blow it up yuorself method would have been a joke! Not much time to think.

#11 ·
Glad you're ok, although something you said and did may have helped save your life in addition to just having the mandatory vest on. Your sentence, "I was wearing a pair of glacier gloves that made feeling the cord difficult, but I ran my hand down the vest and the handle was right there in my hand."

You had the clearness of mind to know where the chord should have been and how to take a second or two to find it.

Rule #1 and it is WAY EASIER to say than actually do, Don't panic.

Glad you both made it out ok.

#15 ·
Thanks all! I think the glacier gloves could definatly save your life! My hands never felt cold, although they were wet. I did not manage to spot any walleye during my brief snorkle trip, but they are there! The number one thing that I know that got us in trouble was that little keel on that Grumman canoe. I have never had a canoe just shoot sideways like that, and I have a lot of time in the river in a smooth bottom. That keel observation was sharp! I think the SOSpenders are good but I sure do not want to think about what would happen if it did not inflate. I will now allways look at life vests from the perspective of actualy having to have depended on one! The vest is a must because as hard as I tried to stand up I could not. I just managed to stumble sideways down current to shore. It took almost ten minutes to get just 50 feet, I was 200 feet downriver by then.

#18 ·
[Q]paxfish originally wrote:
Canoes can be brutal - likely yours had a keel.

I've put a lot of miles on them, but over the last 30 years I've dumped several.
[/Q]

Glad you are OK, and the SOSpenders worked A-OK. I have two that Roadrunner and I use at the CBBT in Nov/Dec.

BTW, the last time I was in a canoe, I took a dump in a short section of whitewater also. Those canoes are not the way to go in fast water.

Porkchunker

#19 ·
I have the autoinflate SOSpenders. I have not had them inflate in the rain, but they instantly inflated when I took a wave over my gunwale from a passing idiot at OC.

Personally , I would not get the model that you have to pull the cord or manually inflate. If you are knocked unconscious or become disabled, they are worthless IMHO. You are very fortunate.[wink]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.