Need some Help Is it possible to have striper season changed into january ?
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Is it possible to have striper season changed into january ?

Are there any like minded anglers interested in trying to balance this fishery and how do we get the ball rolling . Seem like the whole thing is twisted commercial guys aren't throwing fish back and there harvesting the next couple months when the breeders are here .

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I believe VSSA was working on this and remember voting on it. Don't know what every happened.
    Best of my memory Northern Va guys wanted it to remain the same and lower Va wanted it later..

I read that MD has some kind of "rolling season" maybe that would work? (and allow the lower bay guys some time to fish when rockfish ever do made it down this way)

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

There are two issues. First is that ASMFC has to approve any changes as conservationally equivalent. Further based on end of December data one day in a good January is worth about 2 or 3 October days.

The second and real problem is that there is no mechanism to quantify the catch in January. The reason is that there is no angler survey data then.I doubt that this will change unless they boost the budget of the NOAA program where they do surveys and quantify the recreational catch (MRIP).

The commercial harvest is on a poundage quota. I would rather them catch them in the spring so that there is less rec/commercial negative interactions in the fall. I voted against moving the commercial net season up into January when it was discussed at FMAC.

5. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Powers View Post
    There are two issues. First is that ASMFC has to approve any changes as conservationally equivalent. Further based on end of December data one day in a good January is worth about 2 or 3 October days.

The second and real problem is that there is no mechanism to quantify the catch in January. The reason is that there is no angler survey data then.I doubt that this will change unless they boost the budget of the NOAA program where they do surveys and quantify the recreational catch (MRIP).

The commercial harvest is on a poundage quota. I would rather them catch them in the spring so that there is less rec/commercial negative interactions in the fall. I voted against moving the commercial net season up into January when it was discussed at FMAC.
    Tom, it makes no sense to me they can't count bay fish in January but they can count coastal fish in January. Our coastal season is open until March 31st. For those interested, here is our poll we are running. If you have the time please take a moment to respond.

http://joinvssa.org/action-plan/rockfish/

You are correct except for one flaw in logic. They currently do not survey the fish in the coastal season in Jan/Feb. They did one year about 2004 or so.

The coastal season is regulated based on annual fishing mortality or spawning stock biomass (or something like that). The bay recreational (and commercial) season is based on a poundage quota.

One can ignore recreational harvest mortality for 2 months out of they year when there is a limited fishery and you want to calculate annual fishing mortality and not introduce a large error. You can not ignore the recreational harvest data in Jan/Feb to determine the recreational landings during Jan/Feb.

Still not getting the idea of no fish counters in Jan. We still catch tile, tog, trout, puppy drum, etc in Jan. Who is counting those fish? And can't those guys count a few more weeks of bay striper?

I think ??? he is saying- no one is counting them Mike.

One can ignore recreational harvest mortality for 2 months out of they year when there is a limited fishery = Offshore is a limited fishery so, they make a "educated guess"

You can not ignore the recreational harvest data in Jan/Feb to determine the recreational landings during Jan/Feb. = if we were to start fishing the bay during those periods,,,--- due to the MUCH greater numbers of fish being caught, would require more input to make that "educated guess".. (money would be needed to get more input )

I could be totally wrong in my interpretation..

Yes no one from NOAA counts recreational fish in Jan. Feb.

That means that there are no dockside interviews for catch per angler trip and no one is doing telephone interviews, for effort data for that wave. Each wave is a 2 month period starting in Jan.

Well then because the lack of fish counters does not prevent other fish species from being closed in January this should not prevent striped bass from being open in January. This reason can be dismissed as not relevant.

Is there any effort made to --exclude fish caught above Va's borders-- Made during these dockside/telephone interviews?

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast