Need some Help Is it possible to have striper season changed into january ? - Page 2
VA Northern Neck Forum Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Mike it is relevant in that any presentation to ASMFC asking for a change will require backup data or something else to use as a basis for the trade off between extending into January by cutting out early Oct. or part or all of the spring season.

Charlie, They do ask an area fished question. I am not sure if they distinguish a boat that left Rudee and went down to Caroline or if it just fished 2 miles off of the inlet. They do ask ocean or bay for where you caught the fish. VRMC guys are (or used to be) good at going through the raw intercept data and insuring that things seemed reasonable.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

What do the fish counters do starting January, draw unemployment like Omega employees?

Rock Star TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Reason I was asking-- we know most of the fall fish are from Rapp , up. (NN)
    Say 70-75%
    I know for last 30 or so years many of my friends that fished NN , did very well fishing the potomac river.. and they did it often.
    (they sent pic's of good fish while mine were often just over limit)

So they fished MD waters.. I wonder if those fish counted as recreational fish from VA waters?
    Just a guess , 35% Maybe 50% of the fish that come into docks in NN come from MD waters..
    Heck, I got a potomac permit for this last season! It was the only place keeper fish were for much of the season.

What I am wondering, does it Hurt Va recs quota (especially the lower bay guys) That a large % of fish counted actually come from MD waters?

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

IMHO ~ The season doesn't need to be adjusted; OMEGA NEEDS TO BE BANNED FROM THE BAY!!!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Would be nice and would eliminate the end of year oh my how much longer till flounder arrive syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Avery View Post
    What do the fish counters do starting January, draw unemployment like Omega employees?
    The dockside intercept interviews are conducted primarily by biologists under contract to NMFS. I do not know what they do in Jan and Feb, its possible/likely they do other contract work as biologists. The contract is for staffing support over a 10 month period.

the way things are in bay for us rec's.. They could be off Jan -june!

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...-Progress-quot

Scientific information and data are used to manage state, interstate, and federal fisheries, however the data are limited and the science is subject to valid criticism.

The feds and most states historically focused far more effort on comms than recs. The feds were required by congress in 2007 to improve rec fish stats and data collection. The report at the link above is a external peer review of the MRIP program that collects data on rec fishing.

thanks for links Steve..
    Really does show , that most stats they post are seriously Flawed.. Sadly it's the best they can do.. ?

We kinda knew that when they posted the cobia report for Va rec catch.
    Last edited by HeyCharlie; 01-14-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyCharlie View Post
    thanks for links Steve..
    Really does show , that most stats they post are seriously Flawed.. Sadly it's the best they can do.. ?

We kinda knew that when they posted the cobia report for Va rec catch.
    Rec fishermen are getting what the Feds can afford in existing budgets.

To dramatically improve rec statistics there would need to be a substantial increase to the MRIP program. Given the positive economic impact of rec fishermen an argument could be made to increase funding for improving data collection on rec harvest to improve management because of the scope of the positive economic impact of rec fishing.

There are very valid concerns about rec statistics, the solutions are challenging.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast