Gunpowder Falls State Park, MD.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Gunpowder Falls State Park, MD.

Be very careful if you go fishing at the public fishing site. I found these guys stealing eel's out of my bait bucket! I put one of the eel's on a flounder leader, and steped on the other end, when they bit the eel, I pulled the snake up onto the ground and steped on there head, then cut it off!! Eels aren't cheap and these snakes messed with the wrong angler!!

Can anyone identify these snakes? I believe them to be Water Moccasins, but am not sure. [grin]

RYASON is online now Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

They sure did. Need a close up shot to figure what it might be.

trying to get better pic [grin]

Hows this? There was snake skins everywhere,
    so my guess is that the one on the right had just shed its skin, 'cause they have the same pattern on there back.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Northern water snakes. Non-poisonous. I know they pissed you off because they were eating your bait but killing them seems a bit extreme . . . in my humble opinion.

RYASON is online now Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Thats it. Very common and will bite if provoked. Non-venomous. Their mating season is upon us.

I wasn't sure if they were poisonous or not, yes it did piss me off, besides the fact that there were kids, fishing with there parents, only 5' away.

SO STRANGE. I have my boat down there and saw one the other night right on the ramp. It went under the dock and headed right inder my boat. It looked just like the pics. I checked to see wqhat they may be. The DNR site said there are NO cottonmouths in MD. Is this true????? BILL

There are only 2 venomous snakes native to Maryland - the copperhead and Timber rattlesnake.

THERE ARE NO VENOMOUS WATER MOCCASINS IN MARYLAND!

The range for true water moccasins is not found until you reach southern VA.

These are just non-venomous color variants of the northern watersnake. They wont bother you if you don't bother them. Yeah they'll bite but they're just defending themselves. Just allow them an escape route if you don't want to mess with them and they will use it.

I have done alot of field collection in my days of various reptiles and amphibians and the water snakes are a very unique species in regards to their habits, morphology and behavior.

If I grabbed you around the neck, I bet you're not going to take too kindly too it either! [wink]

Jim

I wonder if Rockfish eat them?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast