Question about flounder trolling ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Question about flounder trolling ???

Hey all,

Now that the kids are bigger, we got a new boat and want to get the kids on the water as often as possible. We killed the skunk so far with quick trips catching some perch. I want to introduce them to floundering, but I think they'd bulk at drifting just due to the slowness of it.

So how do I troll for flounder? Anyone willing to teach me?

I'll take all the knowledge I can get, via here on the board, as a ho, or I'll offer my boat up for an afternoon or something??????

Any takers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You've got to have that bait within a foot or so of the bottom so trolling would require a lot of trial and error. I have always drifted.

Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber Lite - I support Tidal Fish!

I have never heard of Flounder Trolling I agree with Steve Drift for them.

TFer who Posts Some - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Gotta kicker motor? I've seen articles where guys backtroll for them using a heavy weight sinker. Apparently the idea is that you can control your location/drift/speed while keeping your line fairly straight down on location. That's the short version - maybe someone can enlighten.

FC

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Flounder trolling is a real popular way to catch flounder in the seaside bays.
    we tried it with a lot of sucess this year, especially at the times when the tides go slack, there were times when the trollers were outcatching the drift fisherman by a substantial margin,!!,in other words we watched the trollers outcatch us 2-1 so we started trolling and had better sucess.

use the same rigs that you use for drift fishing and enough weight to bounce the botton. you have to be on or real near the bottom. establish a trolling pattern that will take you across chanell edges in several different dirrections, our best sucess came from the shallower waters 4-10 ft, also the shallow flats 4-5 ft produced for us. just trolling as slow as our motor would go for us

Platinum TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

[Q]MIKE BURGESS originally wrote:
    I have never heard of Flounder Trolling I agree with Steve Drift for them.
    [/Q]Mike,I troll for them all the time.Maybe something I can teach you.[grin][grin]

DOUBLE POST. SEE BELOW.

Trolling speed is CRITICAL. I use my GPS to determine speed over BOTTOM. DO NOT DEPEND UPON THE IMPELLER TYPE OF SPEEDOMETER TO DO THIS. I try to keep it at 2 mph (Not knots) and no more than 3 mph. Most large motors 50HP and up have difficulty in keeping you under 3 mph. Thats where a kicker becomes very handy. Also,you can drag a sea anchor or pull 5 gallon buckets.

In many instances, you will go faster than that just drifting when the wind and the current are in the same direction.

It is definitely NOT like trolling for stripers. FWIW

Tight lines,

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber tolmaz's Avatar

Not sure about trolling but we "power drift" for flounder often. Sometimes the wind/current is a little strong and moves you along too fast when trying to drift.. We put out 6-8 rods with flounder rigs and pc of squid or minnow.. usually we are on STEEP dropoffs that change very quick. start your drift, We knock the motor in and out of gear to hold us on the ledge longer. This will raise the baits of the bottom slightly, then when you are out of gear they will fall.It can be a pain in the rear but you wont be bored This is very effective when trying to stay on the ledge. good luck[wink]

Agree with Reds, regular Flounder rig, maybe alittle bit more weight if the current is swift or it is deep water. We usually only troll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast