I spoke with Capt. Beto, the dockmaster at Hacienda Del Mar, in Cancun today. He and his family faired well through the hurricane, but the Marina did not do so hot. As of right now he is confident that the marina will be up and running in the first or second week of January. If anyone on this board was planning a trip down there, I will try to post the updates as he gives them to me. This time last week I thought that I would not be going, but as of today My Father and I have resumed planning for the Last Call to go.
1. Hacienda currently has fuel, electric, and water. Phone lines are partially up, but will all be back in the next couple of days.
2. All of the dock planking is gone. There are still pilings (although some are damaged).
The wood for the docks and the new pilings is supposed to be there by the end of the week.
3. Cancun hotels will be operating at 80 or 90 percent by December. I take this to mean that some rooms will not be ready.
4. Marina Puerto Isla Mujeres suffered little if any damage from the storm. Its main problem is electric.
5. Hotels on Isla took it pretty hard. I don't know what will be open, and what won't.
6. The ferry docks are supposed to be repaired by December.
As I hear more I will keep everyone updated. Maybe the winter sailfishing will happen after all.
Thanks for the update. My friends and I (the Joys) are planning to be in Isla at the end of January fishing with VJ. We were very concerned about the condition of the area. If we get additional information, we will pass it along via the board.