RUNNING TWO TRANSDUCERS?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default RUNNING TWO TRANSDUCERS?

I am considering running two transducers off the back of my boat. Any thoughts on why not to do it?

Has anyone ever seen or know of two transducers off the back of a boat my size?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I have an opportunity to acquire a Raymarine L760 which is a color fish finder, depth finder and GPS. I currently have a Raymarine L750 which is a monochrome screen, hard to reed but has one nice feature which is a side look for fishing on the rocks. I also have a separate Raymarine 320 chart plotter GPS. I would like to employ both GPS’s as well as keep the side look feature of the L750.

The two units can not use the same transducer (I checked with Raymarine). I have also been told that possibly mounting the second transducer on the port side (the one I have now is on the starboard side) could have the possible two problems:

1. Cause cavitations that I would not normally experience with only one transducer on the starboard side.
    2. Being on the port side, not have clean water causing erratic or inaccurate readings (maybe not working at all).

I guess in summation, I want both GPS’s and the side look capability of the L750 as I will be attempting to go offshore this year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

I used too run two sounders and found thet when both were on one would cause interference with the other.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

One thing is for sure, One will interfere with the other......... Good practice to have 2 GPS systems but not a good idea with the 2 depthfinders.. If you do, Turn one off while using the other. I'm a firm believer in having 1 GOOD fishfinder and not 2-3 stuck all over a boat. Also was never a believer in the side scan stuff either. The new forward scan stuff is awesome but is also 2-3K for a nice setup..

If one of your machines is a dual frequency you can run them on different frequencies for example one on 50 and the other on 200

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool

As long as stated you have each on a different freq. There is no problem. I run a 3 units 50 k,196k and 200 no problems. When all 3 correlate Fish THAT IS what is there from experience.Good luck.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I would suggest installing an in hull transducer for one of them. You really want the transducer on the starboard side of the motor for the best performance. You can mount on in the hull as long as you have a solid fiberglass hull and the loss is only like 10% i hear. That way if anything hits the external ducer you still have another. Like others have said use different frequencies.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will weigh the options and decide what to do next.

If you try to run two sounders with the same frequency then each unit will pick up the signal from hte other unit and the display will show a lot of unwanted signals and be a mess. You can run multiple soundrs if they are running at different frequencys. I am running 3 and using 3 frequencies, 50,120 and 200 khz.
    Finding the sweet spot on your stern can be a tricky. The transducer face needs to stay in constant contact with the water; if there is any air from cavitation you will most likely loose your signal. Most of the time you will not have any problem at slow speed and trolling but when you try and run sometimes cavitation will kill your signal. Look up the hull in front of where you plan to mount your transducer and if possible find a place where nothing is in front of your transducer mounting location. In my opinion even a thruhull opening will give you problems at a speeds greater than 20mph.

I have one transducer mounted center of the stern around the drain plug and I have two other transducers mounted inside the boat and shooting through the hull. I think thru hull transducers are the best but the one I needed to install had a removable core and I did not have easy access to the space incase I had a leak so I decided not to go thru hull. One of my sounders is a digital so it is only used for depth indication and it is the only one that maintains readings at high speed. I need to slow down below 20mph to look for fish. I big disadvantage while running to fishing areas. I think my problem with good sounder performance is due to thruhulls infront of my transducer locations and I cant find an unobstucted area to mount a transducer.
    If you are going to mount on the stern some have mounted a board on the stern made from large piece of starboard. If you want to move the transducer than you put holes in the starboard and not your transom.

Good Luck

I have two ... one is a transom mounted Lowrance 3500, which has a fairly low power (<300W) ducer operating at 192 Hz and the other is a thru hull mounted 1KW Furuno dual frequency which operates at 192 and 50 Hz. Never have had any problem with either, other than losing the bottom with the Lowrance piece, which is to be expected in deep water or soft bottom conditions. The trick I think, is not to have the ducers too close. Mine are separated by about four feet. If you're transom mounting both, I would put them on opposite sides.

I will have to mount the transducer on the port side and am afraid I will have problems with cavitations. What will decide it for me is if the mounting brackets for each of the units is universal. I would rather have the old unit on the port side, the new unit on the starboard. That means all new holes in the hull if they are not universal brackets. Decisions, decisions ….

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast