Tidal Fish Forum banner

6 days at Point no Point

989 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Francis 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I had a little time off so I brought the boat to St Mary's County for a little while. I wasn't exactly sure who I was going to stay with or where I was going and for how long when I left, I just put some clothes in the truck, hooked up the boat and left.

I ended up staying with a few old college buddies that either work at the base or on boats and had a lot of fun. St Mary's College is making some major changes but the Green Door isn't and, well, thats a good thing.

I went fishing wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday, sunday, and monday for most of the day each day. I covered the Honga, the middle grounds, Richland Point, 72a, 72, 70, Ol 52, the target ship, Hoopers Light, Point no Point, Point lookout, St George Island, etc.

The bottom line is this, finding breaking fish is key right now. Fish are either not on structure, or only on structure for a short amount of time at the right place and the right time and are generally small.

I managed to catch some mid 20's rockfish as well as several like hundred decent blues, and even some mackeral, but, they were ALL on breaking fish. Jigging and livelining on structure just aint the ticket yet this year.

I can also say breaking fish have been somewhat predictable. If you find a load of silversides in one area and fish start breaking, they will probably pop up in that area in the next day as well. i covered several hundred miles over the five days but really never should have left the western shore, between PNP and PLO to find quality fish all day long. Oh well...

All in all it was a good trip. I was reminded why I miss St Mary's County alot but I don't think enough to live there again.

See less See more
#6 ·
Great job Francis... I love that area... lots of options makes it an awesome place to fish. Sounds like you covered most all of the options and spots.

Western Shore right now is the most predicable... Although some nice fish were found around Richland Point...

Gonna try both sides tomorrow weather permitting.

#7 ·
[Q]dingo originally wrote:
Green Door Rules
regards
Bacardi Bill
[/Q]
Bacardi Bill???? THEEEEE Bacardi Bill that ruled at the end of the hall in Caroline Dorm??? Now this could get real interesting........
Green Door was the site of many a hook-up for stripertom!!!! Didn't catch any keepers there but the catch and release sure was FUN!!! Tom

#8 ·
Great Post Francis!!

We all think the grass is greener over yonder....looks like you blew that one out of the water! Did you see any larger bait i.e. bunker schools?? Any trout action?? I was surprised that there was not more mackerel pullage that far south. I have a Hatteras trip planned for Sept. 14-17, will give you a report.

Rich Redler
20' Twin Vee

#9 ·
[Q]stripertom originally wrote:
[Q]dingo originally wrote:
Green Door Rules
regards
Bacardi Bill
[/Q]
Bacardi Bill???? THEEEEE Bacardi Bill that ruled at the end of the hall in Caroline Dorm??? Now this could get real interesting........
Green Door was the site of many a hook-up for stripertom!!!! Didn't catch any keepers there but the catch and release sure was FUN!!! Tom
[/Q]

I'm another reprobate from that time period.....party at Painter's Nut!(circle in front of Dorchester[wink]) Former Mayor of Park Hall
[grin]
Pat in Joppa

#10 ·
Did you get into any red drum? There were some decent reports of people finding a few down that way on here recently.

You had a whole week off and didn't go to the CBBT? Shame on you... but I guess you had a good time anyway and you might as well become more familiar with water closer to home.

#12 ·
Hey guys,
I was thinking about going to the CBBT but I really didn't want to spend the money on hotels to stay down there for four or five days. being able to go back to St Mary's for a few days was important to me in terms of catching up with people and saving some money.

I did not get into any red drum at all, although, I stayed over on the western shore most of the time. My understanding is that most of the drum are coming off the eastern edge. I did see a boat fishing late at night on the middle grounds and I am pretty sure they were targeting drum. I did not ask how they did.

I caught one measly trout under breakers. Directly after that I had another fish halfway to tha boat and he shook off. I suspect that cpi;d have been anlther trout as well.

Here's a few pictures that I snapped with my cell phone. They are not of great quality but they are kind of cool. I happened to intercept a barge as it was dumping part of the old Woodrow Wilson Bridge into the water. This guy was getting this loader real close to the edge of the barge and swining it around and knocking HUGE hunks of concrete off into the water. It was pretty awesome and I was close enough that I got splashed a couple times from these chunks of concrete (which were bigger than my entire boat) coming down.

The second is from one of the last days whent he larger bluefish were going CRAZY. I don't know how well my cell phone shows it off but the carnage was literally nuts. I was able to put my rod down form non stop catching to just sit back and enjoy the show. notice there are very few birds around too. There were like too many fish breaking for the birds to get involved or something. i have only seen it this crazy a couple of times before. You can't really make it out but some of those are actually fish flying out of the water, not birds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.