CATAMARAN VS. MONO HULL
Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default CATAMARAN VS. MONO HULL

curious which is better in what situation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

It depends on what you like. A properly designed monohull can be a great boat, whereas a poorly designed monohull can beat you till you cry uncle.

A properly designed Cat has a very soft and dry ride. A poorly designed cat can get you quite wet.

You need to test drive both a cat and a monohull that you like and make your own decision.

Looks: Advantage monohull
    Ride: Advantage Cat

Super TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not to sound 'too direct' but you need to go spend a day on both and see what you prefer. There are way too many variables. I've spent time on both and both have their advantages...yes, the ride of a Cat is impressive but not every design of Cat's are the same and not every sea condition is favorable for them...same with mono hulls (or any boat for that matter)

If I were in the market, I would test both for sure for what I need to do with the boat...not based on other's opinions, it's just too open-ended.

Glenn

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

In my view, if cats were very good more people would be buying them, but they aren't. I believe most of the cats are still sitting on the dealers lots. That has to tell you something.

Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!

Hi Pepper,

Waayyy too general of a question. I suggest you search thehulltruth for cat subjects. you will find enough info to keep you busy for a few weeks. search on cats/catamarans/glacier bay/world cat/twin vee/ etc.
    Good luck,
    [smile]

Searching the Hull Truth will only tell you that Mono guys like their mono hulls and Cat guys like their Cat hulls...and some claims from both sides about running 30+ knots drinking cocktails in 4 footers [grin]

If you are looking to buy, go try them out. Planing cats, semi-displacement cats, heavy deep vee mono's, light deep vee mono's...etc...any thing else is pure opinon by owners who mainly will claim their boat is best.

Glenn

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I've been curious about how the cat hulls drift & troll. That's how I spend the majority of my time on the water. Most threads I read compare the hulls when they're running- not drifting or trolling.
    Bill

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I generally agree with most of the comments made. I have spent time on both mono hulls and cats. I feel compelled to strongly agree with Persistence2, in that you have to try both and decide for your self. I have to strongly disagree with Capt. Dave in that cats have been an unrealized fishing platform until recently. That’s not to say Capt. Dave is wrong, but we are seeing more and more cats on the water. My thoughts are that in a head or following sea cats are pretty good. When the seas are coming from abeam, not so good, although Dare Marine at the boat show says new hull designs have improved the rolling when seas come from abeam.

My wife really liked the amenities of the cats (mostly because of the extra room they have). I may by a cat in the future, but me like you, have a lot of research to do. It will be tough to pull me off of Edgewater boats. I love mine!

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

You have to take the time to ride them to really know whether a cat is for you.

We bought a Glacier Bay because we were looking for the smoothest headsea ride we could get in a boat under 30-feet. I have a bad back and can't take the pounding. We also wanted a queen size berth since Mike is 6'6' tall. That measn that v-berths don't work well.

We've been out in winds up to 24kts over the past month. Last Saturday around Baltimore, we saw only one other boat out that was under 30-foot - it was another Glacier Bay cat. We cruised at 23 - 26 kts in 22kt winds.

Having said that, we encountered a heavy beam sea at one point and the ride was a bit unsettling but I never felt the boat would flip. In the future I would tack a bit more to avoid that situation when the wind and current is as strong as it was.

We have not done a lot of drifting yet but we understand that the boat will tend to drift abeam. Unlike a monohull, the boat doesn't roll as steeply but it seems to roll more often because each hull passes over the wave. This is something that we'll get used to. We can also deploy a drift anchor if we want to maintain a bow-in position to the current.

Cats are gaining popularity. I think it just takes time for new ideas to take hold. I know that Dare has been selling about a boat a week since the October show. If you are near Yorktown, it's worth it to talk to them and take a test ride.

Sherry

i tend to agree with capt dave. I am not knocking cats, i think they are pretty nice handling. However, if they were all that they would be taking over the offshore fishing circuts and they are not. Serious fisherman and the pros still stick to the deep-v stalwarts.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast