Shallow Water / Bay Boat
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Shallow Water / Bay Boat

What is the best type of boat (20') that can come out of 2 foot bay waters that then does well in the ruff parts of the bay with 3-5 waves?

Thanks[smile]

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Not sure there is? I have a SeaPro 2100 Bay that does pretty well but 5' would beat the tar out of ya. Maybe something heavier, like a parker or a Jones Brothers would handle it better.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Personally, I would not want a bay boat in this area... too much water around here for one of those to handle. I cringe when I go in Bass Pro and see the Mako boats they are selling inside. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that because it's a 'bay' boat it will handle the Chesapeake Bay. I have no idea what you want a boat for so I'm not making an attack on you...it would be a perfect boat for fishing the upper james towards richmond or something similar. It just bothers me that Bass Pro sells so many of those boats in an area that they really are not designed for.

East makes a good point 'Bay' general means protected water. Most skinny water boats have shallow deadrise and low gunnels/transoms. All boats are a compromise ( no one boat does everything equally well) if you're bound to go out in 5' s get something heavy with high sides and get a yak or a john boat for the shallows.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Its hard to beat a Carolina skiff for skinny water,but when you get out in the big water you have to pick your days and be careful,it is truly hard to get a boat for all occassions!!!,the watermen work the snot out of carolina skiffs they are tougher than I am in rough water,
    good luck

Since I love fishing the shallows and flats, I have a 20' Proline Center Console. I can navigate water down to 18' pretty well. I have also had the boat out at the CLT and south as far as Kitty Hawk during rockfish season. A few times I have had the boat in four footers but rarely by choice. The boat can handle the waves far better than I can anymore.

However, as stated by others everything in any boat is a compromise. I am not recommending what I have. I fish a certain way and have my boat equipped for the way I like to fish. I do not have a T-top because it would get in the way of my speckled trout fishing. During the winter every year I question my wisdom of that choice.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I have just started fishing with my father-in-law's new 22' bay boat and so far it has been great. It's a Nauticstar 2200 with 103' beam. We've had it out on the bay in 2-3' chop and it handled great but it did beat us up pretty good. But we expected as much. We picked this style of boat for the versatility of it. It's easily trailered/launched and it'll run in 16' of water. As far as the bay goes, you do have to pick your days. We just had the boat down in Hatteras last weekend fishing the sound but also went out the inlet to fish the ocean side. I have been very impressed with the boat so far. But with all that said, if I was going to spend 100% of my fishing time on the bay I would opt for a higher sided, heavier boat.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Check this out. Here is my next boat.
    http://www.panga.com/pangaboats/panga22L/

Your in luck, I believe there's one for sale in the TF classifieds.

New TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

21' parker ,drafts 10 in. and very seaworthy[smile]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast