Keeping Fiddler Crabs alive
    Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Default Keeping Fiddler Crabs alive

Is there a shelf life on live fiddler crabs, I am coming to VA beach next weekend, and have an opportunity on Wednesday to catch some, will the keep through the weekend? Are there any methods recommended to keep them alive, or can you just leave them alone and they do fine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    TidalFish.com
    Advertisements

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Main thing is to keep them cool. I keep them in either the garage or basement in a 20 gallon aquarium. I use a few inches of sand in the bottom and then put one of those square glad containers full of saltwater in there also. Put a few pieces of bread in there with them. I dip it in saltwater first so that its easier for them to eat. Youll know if any die because youll smell them. I just get a 5 gallon bucket of saltwater and change the water every day or so.

Average TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Put'm in a cooler with some newspaper and water. Tilt the cooler so one end os dry and the other is wet....I have maintained fiddlers well over 2 months this summer using that method. Granted the cooler was in the shade in my garage too.

btw - do not use tap water as the chemicals will make the crabs die at a much faster rate.

Dedicated TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

I want to know how to catch them.

Loyal TF Poster - Not a Tidal Fish Subscriber

Grady Mike, catching them is the easy part. They don't bite hard so if you see them, you can just grab them, but a thin mesh net would be easier

Everyone else (and I'm half lit now, that's why I can't remember names) thanks for the advice!