Tidal Fish Forum banner

Bull shark! Not a joke post!!! Buzz's

Fishing Report 
58K views 113 replies 64 participants last post by  Rays_are_FUNNY 
#1 ·
Today Willy and crew were helping the Solomon's biologists collect cow nosed rays and they got this 8' 1" Bull shark at Cornfield Harbor!!!!!!!!!! He called me to come take pictures and I GLADLY obliged!! I have never touched a shark before. This one felt like sandpaper. They got it right near where people swim down at the park so that is a little disconcerting. I wonder if he has any family still around? I have a lot more pictures I'll put up on our Buzz's brag board down here if anyone comes by. Michael was laughing. He thought he was "doing something" catching a cobia.... Christy

#8 ·
Well, now there is 1 less Ray Eater in the water.

This year seems out of the ordinary, with bull sharks, whiting, blow fish, redfish and other oceanic fish coming in the bay. I believe it is a testament to the efforts in trying to clean up the bay. However, it is probably cyclical and weather related. Any other opinions on all the odd catches this year, or is not that uncommon?

John

#33 · (Edited)
Well, now there is 1 less Ray Eater in the water.

This year seems out of the ordinary, with bull sharks, whiting, blow fish, redfish and other oceanic fish coming in the bay. I believe it is a testament to the efforts in trying to clean up the bay. However, it is probably cyclical and weather related. Any other opinions on all the odd catches this year, or is not that uncommon?

John
Not so uncommon, but the wide spread access generated by the internet allows odd catches to quickly become circulated... before the internet, pictures of sharks caught off of Rock Hall might have made the Kent County news occasionally; and then went no further... or on a less grand scale, a black drum in the Chester was discussed briefly over a few quick beers and went no further,,, now those fish are reported to 1000's in an instant

#9 ·
That is very interesting. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Who are Solomon's biologists? Are they working for the MD DNR. Why did they kill the shark? Does it have research value--food value? I thought there was a problem with too many rays because too many ray eating sharks had been killed. I thought it was supposed to be a good thing for the sharks to keep the ray population in check.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
These are just questions, not a challenge to anyone.<o:p></o:p>

#10 ·
I don't have those answers. I just know they were collecting Rays and somehow they shark got involved. I really don't have any answers for you though although I do agree it is sad and unfortunate that the shark is no longer alive. I just took pictures. Christy

#23 ·
If you see those biologists again, could you please ask them what they found in the shark's stomach? I'd love to hear what he's been eating lately.
Thanks
Fellows, let's be reasonable, huh? This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of half-assed autopsy on a fish&#8230; And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock.

#14 ·
WOW! I remember, back in the day, losing fish to sharks around the bay bridge. You had to horse fish in or they'd come back half eaten when the sharks were around. Not meaning to shoot the messenger but I agree that its a shame they had to kill it.

#15 ·
and so begins the annual August tidalfish conversation of sharks in the bay. theres nothing abnormal about this, the bull shark is a commonplace sighting in the bay. at the mouth of the patuxent and potomac they are known to school up pretty thick around this time of year. the only thing that really baffles me is the fact that we have never had an attack by one of these critters. guess they are only interested in those rays. killing that fish really doesn't make any difference, but they probably should have just let the dude go...theres definitely not a shortage of rays and skates for them to eat.

#16 ·
Bull sharks are not uncommon in the Chesapeake.
They have been taken above the Patapsco, and a 200+ pounder was taken around the Bay bridge in the 80s.
Bull sharks can, and do enter fesh water world wide.
A fair number of Waterman can tell of experiences they or family members have had with them.

#17 ·
Just speculating here but I bet the shark was found dead in a net that the watermen were using to assist with the ray study. You'd be surprised what they get in those nets in the Potomac.

I also bet that one of these sharks busted my 80# ande leader (not at the knots) that had a tony 21 on it deep trolling for the big reds near the target ship. When it hit, it was like snagging a speed boat or flipper (really) if you have ever experienced that. Fight lasted about 20 seconds even though I stopped the boat. The weight that was getting the tony deep was a 16 ounce mojo with 2 hooks and a 12 inch shad. One hook went missing and the other was bent pretty good. We always troll one heavy rig while looking for blues/spanish. I may be crazy but I think one nailed one lure and another nailed the tandem and the hook and leader is what gave. 4/0 senator was smoking 80# braid.

#25 ·
Big beast - that's for sure.
Very likely a few more of them around - water temps are right and plenty of Rays and Blues for them to snack on.

Now I need to get that photo out of my mind before next scuba diving adventure.

#27 ·
Damn Christie; Last year you had a 5 pound hardhead, them Mike gets a cobia, now a bull shark in Cornfield Harbor; what is Calvert Cliffs power plant putting in the water? My wife wanted to come down and kayak the Point Lookout water trail; I won't show her the pictures!!! Give Mike my best.
5th (Marty)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.