Tidal Fish Forum banner

Rappahannock River at #8

Fishing Report 
7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  chollyjohn 
#1 ·
I went out yesterday just before midday to try my hand at flounder fishing... I fished between Greenvale Creek & #8 for a while and then moved to just in front of #8.

I was drifting slow (<1mph) with a minnow/squid sandwich but I never saw a flounder. What I did see were some large croakers. I took home 4 croakers in the 1.5 to 2.0 lbs range. They took the minnows!

Since they have to be 19" to keep I don't know if it's really worth it but I like trying nonetheless. I always use hooks that'll rust out quickly because when I do catch them I catch a lot of short flounders and they're often hooked pretty deep.

Oh well... I had fun!

#5 ·
I've never had much luck in the river with flounders. I can catch 'em but I just can't keep 'em.

When the limit was 16" I caught all the 15" flounders... When it went to 18" I caught nothing but 17 1/2" flounders... They're getting bigger but the limit keeps going up too so I pretty much gave up on them.

#7 ·
If I have any luck flounder fishing, it is watching for lil drop offs with outgoing tide. I try to find rough bottom vs. smooth muddy. Always better drifting for me. Nevertheless, I am best at fishing for whatever will bite on the end of my line. If I'm using large bait, I dont hesitate to also fish with smaller size and lighter rods...that small one you catch is good bait for the big ones. Hope to see some of you out there this weeeknd on the Rappa and on the Bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.