View Full Version : Rockfish/Gamefish??

Ordinary Angler
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
DNR to Host Joint Meeting to Discuss Striped Bass
DNR Fisheries Service will conduct a joint meeting of DNR's Sportfish Advisory Commission (SFAC), Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission (TFAC) and the Striped Bass Ad Hoc Advisory Committee on Monday, December 18, at 6:30 p.m., in the C-1 conference room of the Tawes State Office Building in Annapolis. The purpose of the meeting will be to review information from previous striped bass seasons and discuss the 2007 Maryland striped bass fishery. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend. If public comment is invited, this would be a good time to express an opinion on the end of commercial fishing for Striped Bass.

scotty80
12-16-2006, 11:22 PM
If public comment is invited, this would be a good time to express an opinion on the end of commercial fishing for Striped Bass.

Really? Will I see you there to express this opinion? Recs over 50% two years in a row. Comm's in quota.

Ordinary Angler
12-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Really.

This is but one point to defend Maryland's position on rockfish. Why is Maryland the only state to have to live within a quota? Would the quota be an issue of such magnitude if all the rockfish were allocated to recreational fishermen (including Charters)? Are the statistics that represent commercial catches that much more concrete than recreational? Is that the problem? Maryland is one of only a few states that even allow commercial fishing on rockfish. Are the other states overfishing rockfish? It is an interesting position to take, don't you think?

The MSSA Board of Directors voted some months back to support (not lead) initiatives to outlaw commercial fishing of rockfish. We should stand tall.

scotty80
12-17-2006, 11:21 PM
River, You pretty much made my point. We have a quota set by ASMFC. WE went over 2 years in a row. Now it's payback time. Don't like the quota system? Then change it. Otherwise we need to abide by the rules.
The allocation of fish within MD is mostly up to MDDNR, not ASMFC. If we ( MSSA ) want all the allocation then we need much more planning. The Heritage of MDWMA will fight you all the way.

IMHO,

bentarmspinner
12-18-2006, 06:32 AM
So the board voted to support gamefish for rockfish, but isn't willing to step out in the lead? After reading the yellow perch press releases on the MSSA web site I'm starting to wonder if they ever step forward on any issues or wait until RFA steps outs.
This whole issue of MSSA being the voice of Marylands Fisherman is confusing, and I'm starting to wonder if I spent my money on the wrong group.
As a former bass club leader, I know just how hard it is to move forward, but the more I look the more I wonder about what is really going on.

scotty80
12-18-2006, 11:49 PM
River, you totally got me. I knew I recognized the board name:D
Check your E-mail

Seahunter
12-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Why is Maryland the only state to have to live within a quota?

We’re under quota because we have elected to harvest immature fish to support the recreational fishery in this State. How many States actively promote the harvest of immature fish as is done here?

captrich
12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
The commercial catch is not even included in the spring striped bass fishery, so no they are not the problem. The problem is the quota .