View Full Version : How Many Members Do We Really Have?

Pages : [1] 2

Scott McGuire
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM
I've heard that 7000 is stretching the truth by around 3,000.

What's the real number?

scotty80
12-28-2006, 06:41 PM
254 members listed in our chapter. List is a month old. 17 of these memberships are expired. One person is listed twice. One person is not listed yet joined many months ago. The oldest membership expired 3/31/06.
I can understand a buffer between listing and un-listing members but 7 months seems a bit long? I would think 3 months to be more realistic. Does this 7 months also apply to new members? ie; they don't appear on the listing for up to 7 months after they join?

We also have a junior club with approx 60 kids ( not included in the 254 number above ) These are even harder to keep track of as they graduate and move on.

It's very important to have a member count that is as accurate as possible.

My 2 cents.

fishingfrank
12-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Why is that?

scotty80
12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
Why is that?

I'll assume you are referring to my statement of importance of # of members?

Scott McGuire
12-29-2006, 09:04 AM
I hope that's not what Frank is trying to say... but I'll give you a good reason.

"Dear Gov O'mally,

I am writing to you on behalf of 4,256 members..."

That's not the real number... I don't know the real number, and I have a feeling no one at Headquarters does either. But I see great importance in knowing exactly how many members we have.

I'd also like to mention that an organization losing members is not good. Sure, there will be peaks and valleys, but if we truly did have 7,000 members... we are heading down a dangerous path that needs to be examined carefully. I know there are WAY more than 7,000 anglers in the state.

fishingfrank
12-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I'd like to attempt to answer answer this question. Please don't hold me to these exact numbers the MSSA's membership numbers are dynamic. This is not unlike any other organization.

I last count I heard was around the 4300 number. However, taking into account the many family membership we have and the national average of number so members per membership (around 4 per membership) then the number quickly escalates to the high 6's and it rounded to 7000.

As per the fact that many of Maryland fisherman vs MSSA members it's true small compared to the total number. However, the total number of licenses in Maryland steadily drops each year so it's been a challenge to simply maintain the status quo with an ever decreasing group from which to draw. Fisherman are leaving out sport by the thousands. Gas Prices, pollution, and other outside interests have taken their total on our (not MSSA but fisherman overall) numbers.

The MSSA works very hard to maintain it's membership numbers. Here in 2 weeks or so hundreds of hours will be logged by MSSA volunteers working the show booths. Many of you might be among those volunteers and for that I thank you. Additionally, MSSA Vice President Steve Schtel has taken over head of the membership committee. Steve has a lot of great ideas but cannot do it alone. After all the promises to try harder and demands from the chapters to grow the membership only 3 people showed up at the last meeting. Those 3 included myself representing the Essex-Middle River Chapter (My regular rep had to work), Ex. Director Rich Novotny and chairman Schetel. No one else deemed it important enough to attend that night.

I think each of you should take your chapter president to task president to task to ensure representation on all MSSA committees. It they can't get a volunteer then show up yourself or be satisfied with what the committee decides. Like democracy, managing a volunteer organization is not a spectator sport. Without volunteers and participation from all parts of the organization then the organization is nothing. You guys, the rank and file members of the MSSA, should demand participation from your chapter. The 4 main officers and office staff can only go so far and without input from everyone on the committees have no choice but to go ahead with different initiatives.

Enough for tonight!

Ordinary Angler
12-30-2006, 10:00 PM
Fisherman are leaving out sport by the thousands. Gas Prices, pollution, and other outside interests have taken their total on our (not MSSA but fisherman overall) numbers.

MSSA Vice President Steve Schtel has taken over head of the membership committee. Steve has a lot of great ideas but cannot do it alone. After all the promises to try harder and demands from the chapters to grow the membership only 3 people showed up at the last meeting. Those 3 included myself representing the Essex-Middle River Chapter (My regular rep had to work), Ex. Director Rich Novotny and chairman Schetel. No one else deemed it important enough to attend that night.

I think each of you should take your chapter president to task president to task to ensure representation on all MSSA committees. It they can't get a volunteer then show up yourself or be satisfied with what the committee decides. Like democracy, managing a volunteer organization is not a spectator sport. Without volunteers and participation from all parts of the organization then the organization is nothing. You guys, the rank and file members of the MSSA, should demand participation from your chapter. The 4 main officers and office staff can only go so far and without input from everyone on the committees have no choice but to go ahead with different initiatives.

F.Frank,
I would imagine that the volunteers within MSSA are working very hard at their chapter levels. I know that the chapters have only a slightly easier time in finding volunteers for their many varried and time consuming activities. Maybe the problem with these volunteers is the same as the problem with fewer anglers, "Gas Prices, pollution, and other outside interests have taken their total on our (not MSSA but fisherman overall) numbers."

I hope your statement, "No one else deemed it important enough to attend that night." is based in fact. Like your fellow E/MR membership guy, some of those folks may have been ill or had other committments, as well. I will give you credit, though, because you showed up in his absence while no other CP saw fit to do the same.

The membership committee can't be the only committee that's having this problem. MSSA is made up of a lot of chapters throughout the state. I'm sure some of the folks have to travel long distances to and from the meetings, which certainly takes a toll on volunteerism. This excuse is no good, though, for chapters that are within 15 or 20 minutes of the MSSA office. (Annapolis, Broadneck/Magothy, Northwest, Essex Middle/River, Perry Hall). For the outlying chapters, why doesn't the MSSA invest in a conference calling capability with a good speaker phone. Long distance members of the committee could call in to listen to the meeting, and contribute when they felt it was appropriate. I have seen this capability used in business where conferences are held and individuals from California have dialed-in to the meeting! Surely, Eastern Shore, Southern Maryland, Northern Bay, Susquehanna, and others would be more willing to participate if they didn't have to pay the time and expense of travelling to a meeting in the MSSA office.

Think about it!

scotty80
12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Frank, Thanks for the clarification. I am concerned that the member #'s add up for accounting purposes. It is also important for election purposes. Wouldn't want expired members voting. Is the same membership list used for the voting list?

Scott McGuire
01-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I last count I heard was around the 4300 number. However, taking into account the many family membership we have and the national average of number so members per membership (around 4 per membership) then the number quickly escalates to the high 6's and it rounded to 7000.

Thanks for the info... I'm not satisfied with the rounding aspect, but I suppose that's been going on for a long time.

It surely doesn't sound like we have 7000 members like we once had.

fishingfrank
01-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I don't know where you or anyone else ever got the idea we had 7000 indivudual members. I have been an active MSSA member since before thte first spring tournament and we have never had that many members. Even when the dues was $3.00 it wasn't that many.