View Full Version : Radar Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2 3

kwalk59
01-07-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a 28 ft W/A fish the chesapeake bay and atlantic 60 to 70 mi out. I have never used radar but have read as much info as I can. I am thinking about buying furuno 1734 c/nt 4KW 36mi. I could buy the 1724 2KW 24 mi for 650.00 less.
must go with the dome for height restrictions, I trailer the boat.
1. would you go with furuno
2. will I get my monies worth out of the 4KW
Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thanks Keith

Lance
01-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Either will work for navigation and safety with the advantage going to the 4kw unit. IF money were a problem, the 2kw is certainly better than no radar at all. As for trailering heught, the open array isn't any taller than the radome?

Lance

kwalk59
01-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Thanks Lance
18" radome 8.7"H
24" radome 10.5"H
3.5'& 4' array 17.5" H These are furuno specs.

Cap't Steve
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
After nearly getting cut in half by an idiot in the fog the other day I bought a Raytheon 4KW Pathfinder unit from Marine Electronics in Hartfield. My boat is a 24' Wellcraft cuddy. I picked up the Radar used for a very good price & it came with a warranty, all manuals, new cables & the works. Right now a lot of the boys with more money then me are trading up & you can get a very good deal on slightly used stuff.

I'm sure the Furuno is a very good unit but the similar Raytheon units have a larger dome radious & shorter dome height which should translate to a clearer pictue. My 4KW unit is 24" in diam. with a height of 8.9". The weight of the scanner (dome) is 16.3 lbs which is similar to the Furuno, which, by the way, he had several of as well.

If you are a hard core fisherman, the real advantage to the 4KW units is the additional clarity. ME guaranteed I would see individual birds with the one I bought on a clear day, small flocks of birds on a rainy day. Even though the unit has a 48 mile range, due to line of sight limitations on a small boat like yours & mine realistic range is under 15 miles.

If you want a good deal on quality equipment (new or used) give 'em a call. I went there to buy a new 2KW unit which was $14& change for a new Raytheon/Raymarine.

pursuit_2150
01-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Check out how high a RADAR unit has to be mounted above the surface in order to see 16NM then take a look at the height required to see 24 NM. 1.2 times the square root of the height of the scanner gives the optical range. For example, a scanner mounted 20' above the water-line will provide the radar of 5.4 miles range before the radar beam is 'blocked' by the earth's curvature. If the target is taller as in a ship or building then the range is extended. Two factors to take into consideration with regards to radar range: 1) height of the antenna and 2) height of the target, so the same equation can used to determine the targets radar horizon, by using the sum of the distance to the targets radar horizon to the maximum radar horizon to derive the maximum detection range for that target.
So same example, a scanner mounted 20' above the water-line will provide the radar of 5.4 miles range, radiating a target that is 20' feet tall, can detect that target at a maximum range of 10.8 miles, also remembering that atmospheric and weather conditions can either increase/decrease the range. 4kw is also alot of power to subject your crew to on a small boat.

Cap't Steve
01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
4kw is also alot of power to subject your crew to on a small boat.

Actually, due to the design of the radar, assuming an undamaged radar installed according to manufacurers guidelines, there is no danger to personell on the boat whatsoever. Of course if you mount the scanner at eye level or within 3 ' of your body (on the horizontal plane), all bets are off .

Cap't Steve
01-08-2007, 12:12 AM
There are thousands of boats out there with relatively powerful radars mounted atop the hard top or on a radar arch. My last boat was a 37" Egg & the radar (48" open array) was on the hard top but below the tower station. I never did start to glow :rolleyes:

Shutterbug
01-08-2007, 07:10 AM
I've a 24' walkaround/hardtop with Furuno 1734. Concur with Pursuit and his info. about curvature/dome height/distance. I will add that it's a little more comforting being 60-70 miles offshore to have an additional 12 mile range when the late day t-storms start gathering. 99.9% of the time though mine probably operates 2n.m. or less. Don't think I have suffered any adverse effects from the 4kw................yet!

tolbard
01-08-2007, 08:08 AM
i also have a 28 walk around and i went with the 18" dew to height. as my boats sets on the trailer it is 13' 3" . i like the true color aspect of the furuno. i would love to have the larger size unit but i dont want to push the height limits any closer. i have been very pleased with the furuno. just wish my auto polit worked as well.

Lance
01-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Not to get off-topc, but Tolbard, please specify which autopilot. We're bebating between Simrad and furuno right now, but leaning toward Simrad.

Lance