View Full Version : furuno 1715 radar

kwalk59
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Do any of you have this unit. It is the black and white LCD screen 2.2 KW dome. Just wanted to get some feedback good or bad from someone that has used it.. Thanks Keith

AquaholicFishing
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Do any of you have this unit. It is the black and white LCD screen 2.2 KW dome. Just wanted to get some feedback good or bad from someone that has used it.. Thanks Keith

I have the Furuno 1623 radar. The 1715 screen would not fit in my electronics box. Both basically the same unit and radome, only difference is the screen size and the 1715 has a 24nm range and the 1623 is 16mn. First things first, measure the area it will be mounted to make sure it will fit where you want it. (Hence why I had to get the 1623) I love my unit, have had no problems with it. The installation was pretty easy, I opted to install a 5" Seaview mount with the anchor light bracket. Just a word of advice if you decide to get a mount, check on ebay before you drop another $200 for it. I picked mine up for around $75 plus shipping. As far as operation you really need to spend some time adjusting the settings to get the best view. Luckily I had experience adjusting radars from when I worked on a tugboat. But once you get that optimum mean for all the settings they are awesome units. Also, if you are going to use the unit to search for birds you might want to buy a more powerful radome. The 2.2 Kw will only pick up huge flocks of birds. If that is one of your intented uses you may want to look at a different package that has a 4 Kw radome. If you have any other questions you can e-mail me at [email protected] Hope this helps.

Jerry Grimes
01-18-2007, 08:17 AM
I have a 1712 which is basicly the same unit.I like it a lot,it`s great for night ,fog and shooting gaps between storms.It won`t find ya birds,you will need a 6kw or better to do that.When fishing the ocean this this time of year you can set the range at 3 miles to let you know where the EEZ beginsThe unit is very user friendly even a caveman can do it.

TerpHeels
01-18-2007, 08:39 AM
I've got a 2kw JRC and it works fine for general navigation. In fact I am quite impressed with how it works. IF you have any intention for anything other than navigation, spend the $$ now...wish I did.

Jerry, Capt G's new Raymarine 4kw dome found us birds at nearly 6 miles last week. It's the new dome they came out with, not the old one. Don't know it's beamwidth (he thinks 3.8) but I was amazed. I believe it helps immensely to have a color display as you have to bump the gain up pretty high, the birds show up as a different color in the "snow". An incredibly valuable tool.

kwalk59
01-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys!! I really want the 4K color unit but I have to wait and save up or buy the 1715 and be ready for spring.

AquaholicFishing
01-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Personally I would save up for the unit you want rather than settle for something to be ready by spring. Don't buy the cheaper unit b/c you will always wish you had saved up and bought the better color unit. Just my 2 cents.

pellicot
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Go with your gut and wait to get what you really want and you won't be sorry. I have the 10" Nav Net with a 4KW and overlay and love it. Mine is a closed dome and the open bar are much better at bird dectection but depending on height restrictions on the trailer and space on the t top you need to decide what makes sense. Color is great and once you have it you won't want to go back. Save the $ and get the 4kw you will not be disappointed.