View Full Version : Question on mounting radar on the hardtop

Pages : [1] 2

rattle trap
02-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone,Just purchased a Furuno radar and have a question,The open array has the
cable hole on bottom , so I would think you drill a hole into the hard top and bring in the cable,but if I run the cable along the inside of the hard top I still need to drop it down to monitor mounted on my dash,well my curtains are on so that wouldnt look right,do I run the cable outside the curtains and drill a hole in the pipe supports? would like a clean look
on top and underneath,,,,Any help would be great! thanks!!!!

saltfly
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
RT I envy you. Would love to have one myself. I like you would like the clean look better. But I don't know what your hard top looks like , so it would be hard to advise. You my try shipshape tv's web site. They are very good at advising people on just how to do very clean installation.

Reef-Runner
02-27-2007, 07:50 AM
RT,

I have a Furuno 1722C which I installed myself w/ the cable running through the Hard Top aluminum pipe supports. I love the unit. Make sure you mount the array on an angle stand so that as you are running the boat on plane, the array is shooting the water area in front of you, not into the sky. I believe an angle of 6 deg. gives one a good reading when running slow and when on plane. If your interested, I'll take a few pictures and send to you.

rattle trap
02-27-2007, 08:47 AM
reef runner!! could you please send me some pics of install, thanks!!!! cant wait to install!!!:D

mikie
02-27-2007, 11:21 AM
It's your boat - run it the way that makes you the happiest. As long as it's facing forward, the angle is right (as mentioned earlier) and it's high enough ( you don't want anyone on board lined up with the beam) the wiring route is basically cosmetic. Enjoy!

DAWGONIT
02-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Rattle Trap,

You should have a 10, or 15 meter cable w/ your unit right? The way I ran mine (1731 MK 3) was through the hardtop, which is a big hole BTW to allow your connector to go through, covered it w/ a clamshell on the outside and filled w/ clear silicone. On the back side, it comes directly into my electronics box, so pretty much a hidden deal. What ever you do, DO NOT, I SAY AGAIN, DO NOT CUT THE CABLE since they're made/tuned for the unit...you may already know this, so regrets if duplicated.

Secondly, if you drill into one of your pipe supports, ensure that there aren't any other cables in there, and that it can afford another hole in it since it will weaken the integrity of the frame. Not sure of your set up, perhaps post a pic, then maybe we can offer other alternatives.

Here to help. You'll be happy having that extra set of electronic eyes.
Evan.

rattle trap
02-27-2007, 09:55 PM
DAWGONIT,,,I sent you a bmail

Reef-Runner
02-28-2007, 07:35 AM
RT,

Yes to what DAWGONIT said! Send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail the pictures of my pipe support and T-Top penetrations as well as the mounting bracket.

My address is: [email protected]

Mike

rattle trap
03-01-2007, 02:32 PM
I would just like to thank everyone who has helped me on this install !!!!
I have contacted FURUNO's Tech team by phone and found out some info for those
who may get lucky enuff to get a radar.....1st dont cut cord,but if you do, you need to have
a min.of 15 feet nothing less...2nd if you do cut ends off to run through pipes,they must be solderd back together not crimped,all are basic 1 wire to 1 wire by color,however there is one wire which is for the screen that must be done very carefully.....:boat:

Lance
03-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Nobody has mentioned it, but you can remove the connectors, run your wire through the pipe, then re-insert the wires into the connectors. Very easy to due, just make yourself a map so that you get the colors in the right places. Thats how I've done it twice in the past.

Lance