View Full Version : lowrance radar

shawn fisher
03-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Any tfer's have experience with lowrance radar? Is it user friendly? looking to add the 1.5' dome 24nm to my lcx113c. Thanks in advance sf.

mind68
03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Any tfer's have experience with lowrance radar? Is it user friendly? looking to add the 1.5' dome 24nm to my lcx113c. Thanks in advance sf.

I have the 16nm on my LCX 111C. So far I am happy with it. The color works good too , I have been able to track some fast moving rainstorms on the radar, granted one could see it in the distance. I don't have much to compare it to since this is my first radar unit, but I have found it pretty easy to use. It takes about 80 seconds to warm up , then it is as easy to use as sonar, ie the zoom buttons work. This coming season I will learn a little bit more how to fine tune it, but so far it has worked great.
I think one of the main things it is missing is overlay on the chartplotter.
Jason

27 sailfish
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
FYI-use it on days you can see what the blips are.This way when it's low viz. (fog or night) you'll have a rough idea what the return might be.Once you get the hang of it-you'll love it.Great safety item if you can afford it. Skip

shawn fisher
03-12-2007, 08:07 PM
FYI-use it on days you can see what the blips are.This way when it's low viz. (fog or night) you'll have a rough idea what the return might be.Once you get the hang of it-you'll love it.Great safety item if you can afford it. Skip

skip, when you say get used to the blips does each individual target have a distinct blip.

reel addict
03-12-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a 111 with radar works good but if i had it to do over i would buy a separate unit easyer to adjust and one goes down you still have the other

Etaoin
03-13-2007, 09:43 AM
Shawn,

I installed a Lowrance LRA-2000 Radar on my boat's LCX111C HD last year. Installing Radar on your LCX113C should be a lot easier than what I went through because the LCX113C added radar to its LowranceNet NMEA2000 network. Your installation should be "plug and play", unlike the tedious RS232 wiring I had to do.

My Lowrance radar works very well, and is relatively easy to use. I agree with Jason that it would be better with a radar image overlay onto the chart plotter. Early last year Lowrance announced they would have that capability "in the fall", but it isn't available yet. With Simrad now owning Lowrance, I worry that the new owners may have decided not to add chart overlay to the Lowrance radar. Hope I'm wrong!

Whether the blips on any radar are individual targets are not depends on the resolution of your particular model of radar. The wider the array, the narrower the beam angle, the more distinct will be the individual blips. You are looking at the LRA-1500 which has a 1.5-foot radome with a 4.7 degree beamwidth. The top-of-the-line LRA-5000 with a 5-foot open array has a 1.7 degree beamwidth. If you have two targets that are within the 4.7 degree resolution of the LRA-1500, you will see only one blip, where the LRA-5000 would see them as two (unless they are both inside its 1.7 degree resolution). For fisherman who want to see birds on the radar, higher target resolution is preferred.

Basically the advice is to buy the most powerful and highest resolution radar you can afford and your boat can accommodate. Do not make the decision based on the range of the radar. Range is irrelevant on small boats because radar cannot see beyond the visual horizon, which is approximately 6 miles.

I recommend that you read "Radar for Mariners" or "The Radar Book: Effective Navigation and Collision Avoidance" which explain in greater detail how to adjust your radar, and how to interpret the signals.

Good luck!

Don

27 sailfish
03-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Shawn-I type too slow to explain it all.
Use it in daytime-blips (targets) will show up differant as you move.A ship heading straight at you:eek: is a big square-as it moves beside you:)) it turns into a long blip.Once past you it slowly changes back to a square dot.Markers don't change shape but some have a cool reflector that pulses in X seconds to let you know which marker it is.It takes awhile to learn-that's why I run mine when I can see.A group of boats far away may look like 5-6 boats until you get closer.Big thing is the 1/4 mile range for night/fog.Learn to navigate with this setting.I also move it out to 2 miles-now/then in fog/night -to get a feel who else is out there. Skip

TOPAZ 24
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Shawn, I have a Lowrance LCX-113C HD with a Lowrance LRA-4000 4KW radar.I like it alot but I'm still getting used to using it.I want to get it tuned by a technician because I still think it's got more in it.I set it up as per instructions but I think it could be better. RED EYE-24 TOPAZ

Kayak fisherman
05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread, but....

I have a Lowrance LRA-2000 4kw radome with the LCX-28D. I installed it and finally got it working (they didn't send me the most up-to-date software; they had to email it to me) in October.

Now, it works fine for a while and then turns off. I'm not sure if this happens when I'm trolling or idling, but I think it's because the voltage is to low. I need to fiddle with it