View Full Version : Wall paper

advisor
03-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Ok folks, I could use an easy way to remove wallpaper from my bathroom wall. Any suggestions?

FishBytes
03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Diff solvent and hand pricker by Diff or you can try steam.

Boseafish
03-28-2007, 08:42 AM
Rent a steamer or get ready for some sore arms from serious scraping.... We just did a room and wish we had rented a steamer.

Crabslayer
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
In most cases if it is in a bathroom, it will come off in two stages. First pull of the top layer which will expose the glued paper portion. Use a thoroughly wet sponge and saturate this layer. Use a wide putty knife or spackle knife and it will come off very easily. Make a solution of 1 cup of vinegar to one gallon of water and wipe the walls down to remove any residue.

rj
03-28-2007, 01:30 PM
I second the Dif walpaper remover & associated tools
SWMBO has no problem stripping wallpaper with it.:D

How to Remove Wallpaper (http://www.zinsser.com/ProjectDetails.asp?ProjectID=23)

I'll build it ,paint it or fixit, but I ain't wallpapering it.!!

POLECAT
03-31-2007, 08:29 PM
In a bathroom at my daughter's house we tried ALL of the above recommended methods with terible results.

Whomever applied the wall covering to those walls must have used the world's best holding glue. We managed to remove all of the wallpaper, however, the glue that was applied to the walls or w/paper absolutely refuses to give up its grip of the wall surface.
It's like scraping snot that refuses to come undone from the surface. I just rolls around to another spot and holds on.

I'd live to dip some Muslim extremists in that snot and turn them loose in a feather factory.

Back to the subject at hand. If anyone knows of a sure fire (those may be an inappropriate choice of words) way to remove that snot, I'd really like to hear it.:jackthread:

Riptide1947
04-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Sounds like someone used pre-glued wall covering, like a contact paper material.
If hot water, and vinegar mix doesn't budge it. I'd try a small area, and see if mineral spirits, on an old rag would remove it ! If that works.....then my first suspicion holds true.
This will be a long nasty removal, having to work with mineral spirits, rubber gloves, ventilation, breathing respirator, etc. There is another product called "Goop" for removing the glue from labels, etc, but only available in small containers (4.oz) check "Home Depot" for it ! BUT that may be the only two ways to do the clean-up !
There are relatively in-expensive paneling materials, with a bakelite finish for use in bathrooms, usually bonded to tempered masonite backing, with many colors / designs to choose from, and not hard to work with, just cut glue/nail in place, with mouldings for edges / corners to match. If you choose to do this, then the material must be cut from the backside / or unfinished side, so your saw dosen't chip the edges.
The alternative isn't easy either....that is: remove the wallboard, and install new.

POLECAT
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Soap & water don't budge it.
Mineral spirits, lacquer thinner & acetone somewhat disolve it but it just spreads to other areas while trying to mop up the snot.

One tradesman suggested I paint the entire surface with a product called GUARDS and then apply joint compound over the entire surface to smooth out the high & low spots.

Applying compound over the surface as it is without applying GUARDS allows the compound to blister after it dries. This has already been verified.

If the application of GUARDS doesn't work, the drywall may be removed and replaced as the ultimate solution to this problem.

Personally, Im in no big hurry to tackle the job. Fishing is much more important.

Bryansfish
04-16-2007, 10:46 AM
I did about 4 rooms when we moved into our new home. It seems that only the person who puts on the wall papper likes the way it looks. We used one of those scaring tools which will poke small holes into the paper. Then used liquid fabric softener and sponged it on and repeated the softener several time then pulled and scraped the stuff off. I found that fabric softener worked as well as wall paper remover but cost much less. The key is to let the wall paper absorb as much as the softener as it can which loosens up the glue. If you can remove the paper expossing the glue that is a big help and then just soak the glue several times and scrape off.