View Full Version : How do I fix........

Pages : [1] 2

Russ D
04-01-2007, 10:01 AM
The thin concrete layer that covers the block on the bottom of my house below the siding. In some spots it's cracking off. I assume I should just chip off the loose stuff and patch with some type of concrete patch and then paint. Anyone do this before? What product is made for this?

Cam2
04-01-2007, 10:12 AM
http://www.basalitedrymix.com/products/images/SackingMixps.pdf

Check this out, it should help you.
Good Luck!!!

Spearo
04-01-2007, 11:30 AM
To see if it just that spot or "the way of the future" check with small hammer to see how solid the edges are, if loose remove, if the loose just keeps getting bigger then it will be "TWOTF"
For this job you will need a ready mix bag of motar mix or mix sand porland cement and lots of lime so it will stick to the wall. Remember, that if you're mixing materials the key is the more line the better .

Russ D
04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Have either of you done this repair before? How do I spread the stuff smooth and uniform enough to make it look good.

mikie
04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
You spread it with a flat trowel (rectangular shaped).

Spearo
04-01-2007, 07:38 PM
If you want a slick (garage floor look) then use a metal trowel and if you're looking for a "driveway look" then AFTER you apply it to the spot use a pc. of wood (2x4) or a wood trowel and rub it into the spot untill you get the look to match with a circular motion.

gmoore
04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
or before it sets up use a thick damp sponge and even it out.
gary

Roger T
04-03-2007, 10:34 AM
A hand shop broom works better to give it a textured look.Let it set up some before brushing though or it will look like crap.
Good luck

Riptide1947
04-13-2007, 10:04 AM
After removing all of the loose old mortar, spray vinegar on the foundation, and scrub with a stiff brush,this removes any eflorescence, and allows the repair to stick to the foundation. After the repair sets up a little, about 1-hour, lightly spray water on the area, then the surface can be blended into the old finish. Not knowing what the finished area looks like, makes it difficult to recommend how to match the old with new ? ?

Russ D
05-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Well I'm into it now and it looks like it's gonna be a pretty big job. Under the initial hard flaking coat is a softer more sandy coat that covers the block. I can remove the flaking coat easily enough but the softer coat is'nt coming off as easy. Any tips on how to get this off the block? Or do I have to remove all of it to get something to stick?