View Full Version : moss on regular asphalt shingles

Hippie Joe
05-03-2007, 05:10 PM
I have been ignoring this problem (with occasional sorties to try to deal) with moss growing on my roof. I don't want to damage the shingles (also they're about 18 years old), so I don't think pressure wash is good. I've dumped hotwater/detergent/salt mixture on them and swept gently with a broom, and knocked some off, but tehy come back with a vengeance. I had thought it was from too much shade, and I took down some overhanging branches. No dice. Any ideas?

Clark W. Griswold
05-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Have you tried spraying your roof with roundup? I've never tried to kill moss with it but it should work. Or get a caribou and put it on the roof, they eat the stuff. :D

Hippie Joe
05-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Have you tried spraying your roof with roundup? I've never tried to kill moss with it but it should work. Or get a caribou and put it on the roof, they eat the stuff. :D

heh heh heh--I like the caribou idea. No kidding, Roundup, I never thought of that, mayb e I'll try it on a small area, I need some to kill some poison ivy colonies anyway.

Clark W. Griswold
05-04-2007, 06:06 PM
One problem I just thought of with roundup though, make sure it isn't gonna rain for a while after. They claim it's rain proof in 4 hours, but I would give it more time than that. I do know what doesn't get absorbed by the plant degrades in the sunlight so it's no longer active. Of course if it does get washed off, you won't have to trim around the downspouts for a while when you cut the grass.

Bob H.
05-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Moss growth is problem in the front of my house. I just saturate the main roof with bleach water for a bit and hit it gently with the pressure washer - I need a new roof too. I also have a "roof" over a bow window and someone told me to put a copper strips at the peak. I bought a roll of copper shim material and slipped it under the top shingles and it helped a lot with moss.

Bryansfish
05-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Never preasure wash a roof it may clean it up some but your knocking off those little things and thats what protects the shingle from the weather. I've been told by a roof contractor that preasure washing can take 1 to 5 years away from the life of a shingle.

POLECAT
05-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Absolutely do not pressure wash the roof. I won't say more on that topic.

It just so happens that my neighbor is in the ROOF CLEANING BUSINESS. That's right! He cleans asphalt and fiberglass roof shingles as well as siding, soffit, fascia, etc. He has a mobile unit that has all sorts of pumps, reservoirs, chemicals, yadda, yadda........ to do the safest and most complete cleaning job possible.

Here's a link to his web site: My Clean Roof cleans black roof stains with environment-friendly roof cleaners, low pressure rinsing (http://www.mycleanroof.com/)

For a Free Estimate call (410) 371-9469 and Roger will try to help you with your problem.

Tell him his best neighbor sent you. :thumbup:

PAULP
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
A heavy dose of lime will kill the moss