View Full Version : installing radar on canvas t top

Jameytreee
05-16-2007, 09:26 PM
What are my options for installing a radar on a canvas t top? I do not want to have a custom arch made. I just saw an ad for the exact same boat I have with the same t top and it has a radar mounted on it so I know it can be done. I have seen other boats with canvas t tops and radar as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jamey

Lance
05-17-2007, 10:52 AM
You may have a radar plate already welded in? If not, you'll need to have a mounting plate welded in to your top. After the plate is there, it's pretty straight forward. After you cut the hole throught the plate and canvas, take a soldering iron to melt the edge to keep it from fraying.

Good luck,

Lance

stevej00
05-17-2007, 04:49 PM
AHve you checked the weight of the domes/array's, they are up there. I'm goign through the same thing on a seacraft with a birdsall top. No plate. We're going through the front support and adding a plate for the rear bolts.

derekd
05-17-2007, 06:29 PM
I went through the same process last spring for my 222 Grady White. I had a sheet metal shop bend a piece of aluminum that was fitted up against the existing structure of the T-top. I then used a piece of starboard as a spacer on top of the T-top. The entire project cost me about $125 and a several hours of my time. If you would like I can get you a few pics so you can see what I did.

stevej00
05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
pics always help, thanks

headnut
05-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Post those pictures, I'm in the process of doing the same project.

derekd
05-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Shot me your email addresses and I'll get some pics out to you. Sorry, I don't know how to link them here. My computer crashed a few months ago and I lost all my pics but I'll take some more when I'm at the boat Memorial Day weekend.

Jameytreee
05-18-2007, 07:52 PM
I have a plan. Thanks for the input.

stevej00
05-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Shot me your email addresses and I'll get some pics out to you. Sorry, I don't know how to link them here. My computer crashed a few months ago and I lost all my pics but I'll take some more when I'm at the boat Memorial Day weekend.

[email protected]

(((When you do I'll email you duirecttions for enabloing your private messages through TF and where to enter your email address)))

I'll post your pics for you.

Thanks,

Steve