View Full Version : 2006 F-250 Fuel Gague Problem

Pages : [1] 2

rrr
05-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Guys, I gotta 2006 f-250 diesel with a messed up fuel gauge. When it gets hot like it is now the gauge will raise way up. Say I have 1/4 tank. It will say i have the width of the needle below 3/4. The only way to see how much i really have is to have it running and open the cap to tank and the gauge will go down for about 5 minutes.

I have a warranty but don't want to take it to the dealership because I have 34 all terrains on it and a set of Leslie tainhorns that are right against the tank in front of the spare tire. I think with this stuff my warranty is voided until I put the stock tires back on. Also, don't want to have my truck at the dealership for a day.

Any suggestions? Bad sending unit etc.

I haven't looked at any wiring but I've tried slamming my breaks and getting the fuel to slosh around.

Its a big problem cause everyone knows what a you-know-what it is when a diesel runs out of fuel.

Russ D
05-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Bite the bullet cuz thereis'nt going to be an easy fix. Take it to the dealer. They will have to pull the tank to fix it I'll bet.

rrr
05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Thats what I'm afraid of. It will actually take 3 days to get it back. One day to get everything off, one day there, and one day to put everything back on.

Lone Ranger
05-29-2007, 09:31 PM
They cannot legally void your warrenty....UNLESS said modifications are directly related to the failure.

rrr
05-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Lone Ranger- your right I was under the impression that any mods could void your warranty. I gotta read all the papers next time.:D

For the title of the thread-"Gauge"

Bob H.
05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken diesel tanks are vented. Fuel will foam under pressure. Not sure what the venting mechanism is on your truck, may be the fuel cap.

rrr
05-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Ahh Bob H i was waiting to hear from you. I think i'll just try to get under her tonight and jiggle a few wires and if that doesn't work-off to the dealership. I appreciate all the help.

Bob H.
05-30-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm in the hi-tech business, military, not lowly diesels:D I don't think it's a wiring problem, more of a blockage problem. I don't know if your fuel cap is vented or the system is vented via simple tubing. I'm just relaying overheard info. If it was a alcohol injected race engine I could help you.

rrr
05-31-2007, 07:25 AM
If it was a alcohol injected race engine I could help you.

Too bad its not. I bet it would get better milage then my truck.:D :D :mad:

I put a full tank in it today and the gauge seems to be working good. The needle is moving-just gotta wait til i get down to about a 1/4 tank.

rattler
06-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I work in sales at Beach Ford...If you bought it stock and then lifted it, you may have voided your warrenty...the problem sounds like venting to me(i'm no mechanic)...PM me you # and I will ask about your problem and let you know...Gary