View Full Version : radar help

captain puggs
06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
i am buying radar this week i went to the instructions it said to clear all metal objects in front of radar. ok i have a spot light on my roof up front i guest i can buy a mount to get above it? i also have a gps antenal on the front side and to the side rear i have outrigger. i can understand the spot light in the way, though i notice alot of boats with the spot light in front. so tell me what i can get away with referring to the blank spots the instructions are talking about. i have a a 29ft seaswirl with a hardtop

WildeOne
06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
This is simple ... you want no metal objects in the beam path and no GPS antennas. Com antennas are OK. Use a RADAR mount and change GPS mounts as required.
Jim

DC Ben
06-03-2007, 08:21 PM
My open array(and many others I see around the dock) is mounted on the roof, between that and my tower. This means there are tower legs around it - according to my installer this isn't a problem, and it functions fine. Not a hard and fast rule I guess.

tominator
06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
my dad just recently put a furuno radar on his 20ft sailfish that we go offshore (yes the canyons) in and there is a spotlight in front of it , it doesnt seem to effect the radar at all. even though ive only used the radar once 2weeks ago and i know what im lookin at, boats, inlet rocks and etc. it dont see and problems with it.

justkiddin
06-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Depends on the radar antenna- I put the 4kw open array on my 29 Hydrasport that has the spotlight and GPS antenna in front- The pedestal is not only heavy, but tall enough that it did not require the additional raised mount.

Scott

TerpHeels
06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
Just make sure it isn't in the direct line of sight of the scanner + 5 degrees or so for the vertical scan of the unit. Imagine that 6" of blind spot next to the scanner becomes exponential at miles. You can come over and look at my setup. I've got a spotlight on my hardtop in front of my scanner. My scanner is mounted on a 12" riser so it shoots over the blockage. I've got 3 (yes 3) GPS antennas as well.

greg 1
06-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I recently installed a furuno (last year) on my hardtop. I moved my spotlight but have two GPS antena not a problem. I thank it is the height of the object that matters terp is right the item is magnigied into a blind sector. I actually riged my radar temporary and checked function prior to drilling ann final holes. Just a thought.

kwalk59
06-04-2007, 01:55 PM
If you dont have a height problem then I would get a mount to raise your scanner above the GPS and spot light- line of sight. If you have to worry about height than you can mount the scanner to the hard top and raise your GPS on an antena mount that lays down. If your spot light is far enough forward to be out side your encloser can you use the same holes and mount it under your top. Just a thought. Keith
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d825b3127cce8487fecb544000000026100AbtWbFszYtG Mg
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d825b3127cce8487fe06d5bd00000026100AbtWbFszYtG Mg

captain puggs
06-04-2007, 08:55 PM
thanks to all