View Full Version : Which distributor

bayrunnerrods
07-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I've met some of the best fishermen through building rods. I do this as a hobby type business and have completed a few hundred rods at this point. Looking forward to seeing some of the posts here and hope to meet other builders. I specialize mostly in offshore rods. I'm sure I'll have questions and am willing to share what I know.

For my question I am curious who other builders go to for components. I have wholesale accounts with Fishsticks4U.com (VA), Merrick Tackle (NY), and Mudhole (FL). Each offer something different that helps me in my work and all are very helpful and friendly.

Good addition to the board Brandon.

Joe

Steve F
07-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Hey Joe how’s things going, I use the same disturbers as you but I also use Schneiders Custom Rod Shop and they are out of Arkansas this is there web site Schneidersrods- (http://www.schneidersrods.com/) and there are some very good folks to work with. If you call them tell them I sent ya to them They sell Batson Rainshadow blanks and that’s what I have been using for my blanks and man are they some sensitive blanks. I just finished building 6 trolling rods for a guy and boy did they turn out nice and I got all my stuff from Merrick Tackle but man did it take some time to all the components in. I just stated my "Real" business in March and so far I have build 36 rods so things are going really good. I started building rods in 2001 and I have built over 400 rods since then and I have gotten a little better at building them :D This is a good addition and I hope some other rods builders use this forum.

mtgarman
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
I build primarily fly rods and get most of my components from Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies (http://www.hookhack.com). Thanks from me as well Brandon for the new board.

Captseigel
07-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Hello All I used to build rods for years, somewhere around 35 years build for alot of charter boats both on the bay and ocean. I still build for myself and wife but not for sale and longer. I had accounts with most major manufactures lamaglass,fisher,sheakspear etc.
Most of these manufactures are either out of business or refuse to sell to custom builders now. I used to belong to rod crafters and a number of other clubs for rod builders and they had some of the best in the country as far as teaching you different designs. Now I'm talking thread design not tape etc. I would like to see that again.
Capt. Steve Seigel

Jerry Grimes
07-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I have been building rods for about 25 years.I`m not in business,so I do it as a hobby and build em for friends and family mostly as gifts.What I have found out over the years is just about anyone can do this and it doesn`t take a lot of expensive equiptment or tools.Just take your time.Dale Clemens has authored a couple of good books on the subject and I would suggest getting them if you are planning to make your own rods.

rodcrafter
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Brandon, thanks for setting up this board. I really think it can be useful for those of us who fish the Bay.

My name is Hugh Miller. I live in Woodbridge, VA and have been building rods since 1979. I sell a few roda and would like to sell some more.

Would there be any interest in those of us interested in building rods to get together on some basis? Perhaps some sort of Greater Washington DC area/Northern Virginia/Maryland Rod builders (with apologies to Billy Vivona and NERBS)

I have an account with Merrick and find them great to deal with. Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle Supply in Tennessee is a great person to deal with and has always treated me right.

Seahunter
07-09-2007, 10:41 PM
My name is Clyde and I'm from Howard County Maryland. I've been building rods since I took up surf fishing and distance casting about 15 years ago. I specialize in the surf rods and Bay trolling rods

I build only as a hobby right now. Mostly for myself but will hardly ever turn down a request from a friend or an acquaintance if I have the time.

I buy mostly from fishsticks 4U, Mudhole, Versitex, and Custom Tackle who is the only shop that seems to carry the chrome over brass reel seats I like to use on trolling rods.

Rodge
07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I use the same as that the guys above mentioned and I have had good service from DONARTS in NY...FWIW.

Donart Rods - Custom Rod Building Components and Supplies (http://www.donartrods.com/)

Rodge

boats
07-10-2007, 08:33 AM
For Fly and light tackle stuff I buy from Rodmakers supply in Washington State. Have been in there store which is next door to the Lamaglass factory. Very complete selection.

Localy about the only shop that carriers components is Bishops Tackle on Rt 17 in Newport News VA. Nice guy and a good basic selection. I am sure he would help a new builder get started.

The real problem for me is getting long surf rod blanks. It's hard to ship over 9 feet. Bishops bites the bullet and gets deliverys of long blanks from AllStar in Texas. Good heaver blanks.

Boats