View Full Version : Favorite Rod

FINNBOB
07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I need some guidance on this---- Recently I broke my rod trying to horse-in a 48" Amberjack at the South Tower. In doing so I snapped about 18" off my rod. It's an Ande- Tournament Saltwater, ATC-5701A MH 7'0" 20-30 line..... Beautiful action, hollow fiberglass(i guess), 9 guides, gimble,foam grips---and now I can't remember where I bought the damm thing.. It's been mounted w/ a Abu-Garcia 7000- C3 reel,w/ 30# braid, catching almost everything I've gone after around the ChesBay and skinny-water (35 miles)Atlantic.. NOW- The question is--Can it be repaired? I live in the VaBeach area.. Maybe I should just buy another similar to it or what?? Thanx, BOB

Seahunter
07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
It would cost more to repair than replace. If you like the rod just buy another.

Steve F
07-11-2007, 10:52 AM
Bob, I know that some guys can repair your rod but it will take the sensitivity out of it and it will not look the same and like Seahunter daid it will cost more to repaire then replace. I know that some guys can do a great job on it and I have tried to mend some but they did not come out they way I liked them. Not sure if you would like to get a custom rod built but they do have a 7’ rod with the same specs that your rod has but if you can find someone that can repair yours go for it we all have our favorite rod…

FINNBOB
07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
THX for the comebacks!! I found the rod at Dick's and bought another today for $40 !! Still hanging onto the other in case I decide to do a fixeruper!! Damm nice rod w/ beautiful weight and action! ////BOB

rodcrafter
07-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I agree with Steve F. It is technically possible to repair that rod with either an internal ferrule or external sleeve. The problem is that when you add that much weight and added hoop strength 18" from the tip the rod will never be the same.