View Full Version : 14' canoe

reskewed
07-31-2007, 04:41 PM
I am planning to build the canoe from the free downloaded plans @ bateau.com
has anyone else built one of these? Curios as to wether it is as easy as they make it sound. This will be my first build. Would like to build their Pilot 19 someday as well. Let me know what you guys think of the plans from Bateau.

Thanks for any input!!

rrr
07-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Mark, make sure your up to the task. It may sound small but it is very time consuming and takes alot of tools and space. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea just letting you know the goods and bads of boat building.

However, no matter how hard or long a project takes you you have full justification in saying-Hell yeah I built it from the ground up!

reskewed
07-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Jim-- my starcraft is aluminum. the first thing I did when I got it was romove the old floor BY THE HANDFULL!! I started over with a bare aluminum shell. Here are some pics of the new floor and transom, and some damage from a large tree limb. I will post more pics of her completed later.

rrr-- I remodel and re-sell homes for a living, so carpentry and tools are not a problem, the only thing I have absolutely ZERO experience with is fiberglass and epoxy.

rrr
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Although I am not an expoxy user the method of expoxying(?) seems to differ the using polyester. Filling holes and gaps with putty or filler (same thing) seems the same. Maybe Im just a "I have about this much resin and I'll add about this much hardener" type of guy.

Great looking project-the best thing about doing it yourself is that you can build the boat around you.

reskewed
08-01-2007, 03:20 PM
here she is DONE! the pic of the side is where the damage from the tree limb was repaired.

rrr
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
The dash looks awesome!

reskewed
08-01-2007, 04:24 PM
Jim -- a lot of hammering and pop rivets, and a new (salvaged from a junked boat) rub rail

rrr -- dash board is one of them there fancy laminates (commonly known as 3/4" exterior plywood) with about 8 coats of uv protected marine varnish.

reskewed
08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I have e-mailed / PM ed a bunch of guys, but seems they are occupied elsewhere, oh well all good things come to those who wait:D

done workin
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Mark

Boat looks great, 'bout time I got to see the pics since I couldn't see it first hand either crabbing or floundering........................yet.