View Full Version : So what have you built. . . are you working on.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tom Powers
08-01-2007, 06:35 PM
I thought it might be good to do a kinda resume list for the board.

I have been messing around with building and rebuilding boats for about 35 years.

My first rebuild was a 16 foot fiberglass on frame double paddle canoe (that I used single paddles on). I got it when I was about 15 and used in on Lake Joyce in Va. Beach. That was in the early 70's.

Next was a 16 foot folbot single kayak from a kit. It was made of vinyl over juniper frames. I still have it if anyone is interested in buying it for a cheap but fair price. 1981 or so.

Next I rebuilt a wooden sailfish sailboat, which was more or less a sunfish with a flat deck like a giant surf board. I spent many evening sailing off of Chic's beach figuring out just how far you can push a boat before it goes over. 1984

Then there was a 16' plywood dory that is still in my shed that I build in about 1986 it is is the Dynimite Payson design. 1/4 inch plywood on oak frames. Your basic mini tank that can take any seas that you can row in.

About the same time I built a 16 foot DK16 kayak that is 3 mm okumbe plywood stitch and glue type of boat. A pict of this is on the kayak board on a thread titled building our own.

Next was an 8 foot marine ply on oak frame pram, based on a John Gardner design. Build over a 3 year period starting in 1990, kids and all you know. It was put to good use as a tender when I kept my sailboat 350 yards off shore in the middle of the river down the street from my house.

The there was a drought. But I did put in a new keelson and transom on my 16 foot Starcraft fiberglass bow rider. That happened about 1998.

Now I am in the middle of (the wife claims obsessed with) of building two more DK16's only this time they are DK16 XLs out of a sense that I kinda out grew the weight clasification of my original DK16 over the 20 years that I have owned it.

I am a West Systems kind of guy but have resorted to polyester resin and have no problems at all dealing with gelcoat. I have most woodworking tools that a body would think about using and am willing to aid a fellow builder with a cut here or there, etc. where necessary. I live in Poquoson so you boys in Hampton, Newport News, and York County are welcome to stop by the shop and check on the progress.

So that is who I am . . . .who are you.

Tom

reskewed
08-01-2007, 07:11 PM
You can see the pics of my starcraft rebuild in the thread titled 14' canoe.

rrr
08-01-2007, 07:48 PM
1 of 3 of our project boats-

25' 1966 Bertram. It had twin I/O's. Restored with twin 225 optimax's. It cruises around 34 kts.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x6/crabberray/bertram1.jpg

rrr
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Next would be my 27' 1963 Chris Craft. The sides were cut down, stringers replaced, gutted, rebuilt, had twin inboards and now 2 225 four stroke merc saltwater series motors.

Its got the floor in it now-Im too lazy to take pics.

That would be me on the bow...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x6/crabberray/cc2.jpg

And now....

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x6/crabberray/water1.jpg

rrr
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Here is a pic of newest boat a 2001 36' intrepid with twin yamaha 250's
Not to brag but it is sweeettt.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x6/crabberray/intep.jpg

rrr
08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
The black boat in the picture is the first project boat we ever did. It is a 1973. It has a 200 hp Mariner.

reskewed
08-01-2007, 08:42 PM
They all look like SWEEEEEEET rides rrr, nice work. I am partial to the bertram. I would love to redo an old 31 classic someday.

I agree Jim, they are lightyears ahead of me as well. RESKEWED was my first go at it.

rrr
08-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Both of you are doing an awesome job. Me and my dad have worked on them all and needless to say they all take along time. The black boat was basically just built from scratch like my workboat but the bertram is restoration. We got the bertram going in about 9 months. It is much faster then a total rebuild since you have old measurements/reusable parts.

Jim, great idea about the meet. We should get all of our boats that we built altogether once finished.

rrr
08-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Jim,

I am very thankful. You story is very touching and much like my father. He used to be a builder for about 30 years. He knows alot about fishing and can do just about anything. My great grandfather used to live in Wisonsin but my grandfather and my dad and I have all lived in Elkton Maryland. I don't think I could have grown up anywhere better. I live on the water so I know just about everything about driving a boat (got my license when I was 7) I can fish and crab and drive a boat really good-I learned everything from him (except stuff about crabbing which I figured out myself). Thanks for the support Jim.

DDan
08-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Interesting thoughts.

My Dad describes himself as a "glorified mechanic". He ran a construction company with his 2 brothers for years; just retired (stopped getting a paycheck) at 77. He taught me loads about tools, mechanics, & finesse with machines. I've developed further in certain areas, but he laid the foundation. His father was a very mechanically gifted farmer/mechanic - maybe it's in the genes.

As far as my boat building resume:
- Pygmy kayak kit - 17' Queen Charlotte (stitch and glue plywood/epoxy)
- Wooden Boat School - wood & canvas canoe building with Jerry Stelmok
- 17' West Greenland skin-on-frame kayak
Underway - Simmons Sea Skiff 18 - like Jim Rockfish's project (he's farther along)
Wish list: wood & canvas canoe, adirondack guideboat, etc. etc.

Thanks all for the photos and stories. They are really inspirational!