View Full Version : What Electronics set up (chartplotter, fish finder, radar) do you have on your boat?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Brandon
08-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Hi Gang,

I just ordered a new Lowrance LCX-38C HD w/8.4screen and a new handheld back up, a Lowrance iFinder H2OC. I am also going to try the new Hummingbird sidefinder for my second fish finder. I am not a big Hummingbird fan, but I have heard some really good things about this new sidefinder, so I am going to give it a try.

I am replacing my Furuno color 1650 (it will be for sale in the Tidal Fish Classifieds for a good price as soon as the new unit comes), a very old Garmin handheld that I used as a back up and an older then dirt Lowrance x something fish finder.

After reading Gerald's thread on the Maryland board asking if people use a GPS, I thought I would start a discussion on what electronics set up people are using on their boats.

Brandon

Persistence2
08-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Brandon,

I just updated some of my stuff...

I have an older Raytheon SL72 24 mile radar (not color). Unit is very user friendly and works fine for me

Garmin 492C GPS/Plotter. Nice unit for the money and a HUGE step up from my Furuno GP-31 GPS (no chart)

Furuno 620 Digital Color finder. Love this unit...again, a HUGE step up from my Raytheon 470 unit which was marginal at best

I have the Plotter and FF interfaced to a Furuno GD display. The display unit convers Lat/Lon to Loran TD's and also allows me another place to display speed, water temp, depth and a few other items without having to toggle around two units or take up real estate with a lot of text boxes.

I need to get a backup handheld GPS...been on my list for a while.

Standard ICOM radio, backup handheld radio and EPIRB (last two in my ditch bag).

Would love XM radio on the boat and the integrated weather to the Garmin unit...but that's not going to happen soon. I'm going to need to repower soon so that's where my money is headed.

Glenn

b8 boy
08-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I have the Furuno 1650 as my primary chart plotter/fish finder and I have a old garmin unit as a backup. Dont have radar yet but Mama is still getting over sticker shock from the 2 new E-Tec 250 outboards. I got the Simrad auto pilot which I really havent had much chance to test out yet but so far so good. I am thinking about the Furuno 4kw radar Navnet and put the 1650 as a backup. Got to do a little at a time to keep Mama happy. Martin

Rare Breed
08-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Raymarine C-80 GPS, FF, Radar, Icom radio, handheld radio, Epirb. Eventually will get a GPS unit as backup with XM weather.

Tom Milan
08-30-2007, 10:25 AM
I use the Garmin 3210 with the Satt weather which is great for dodging storm cells.
I also use the Hummingbird Sidescan which is great for wreck fishing. The sidescan unit
says it can see out to 300 ft each side but I found when you set it at 120 ft or so gives
the best resolution. It is also good for cruising the CBBT to see which piling the fish
are held up on.

Tom

ocnslr
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
- Icom M-602, connected to Digital 529 antenna and house battery bank. Set-up to use as hailer and automatic fog signalling. Command mic used adjacent to helm.

- Icom M-402, connected to separate Digital 529 antenna and engine battery bank.

- Sitex T-721 color radar

- Lowrance LCX-19C chartplotter/fishfinder, with Airmar transducer

- Garmin GPSMap 376C chartplotter, with Master Mariner MX Weather package

- Simrad AP-16 (just installed as replacement/upgrade for AP-12H)

All electronics fully NMEA interfaced. Both radios set up for DSC use, with the M-602 also providing DSC position reports to the LCX-19C. LCX-19C interrfaced to AP-16 and T-721.

- Handheld Icom VHF, handheld Garmin 76C GPS, and GPS-enabled EPIRB in the ditch bag.

Brian

Brandon
08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I would love to get radar like many have said they have, but I really could have to put a t-top on and I think my 21ft is just a little small. There is no question I need it and will definitely get one on my next boat which will probably be a 22-24ft something. Looking a bunch of options on that. I have to say I found myself in need of radar a few times at the CBBT area and it would have been greatly useful!

Brandon

Miles Offshore
08-30-2007, 01:24 PM
Furuno 582L Bottom machine
Standard Horizen Matrix VHF
Icom VHF- back-up only
Garmin192C GPS chartplotter integrated with the SH VHF
JRC 1000 radar (soon to be upgraded)
Northstar 800X loran
Walmart FM boombox

Brandon
08-30-2007, 02:23 PM
How many people who use Furuno fish finders have had problems with them holding the bottom at mid to higher speeds. That is the experience I have had with them on my boat plus four of my friends. Great unit when it works, but we moved, fine tuned etc the transducers and they never worked right. Note, all the boats had them professionally installed and two of the boats had transducers on the back, one through hull and the other in a through hull modification application.

Anyone else with the same thing?

Brandon

naclh2ophishing
08-30-2007, 02:44 PM
My furuno 600l will lose the bottom at higher speeds the screen just turns to wash, it only does it sometimes and if i slow it returns to normal, not sure why and it's not a normal occurence, I have a thru hull transducer as well
Tight lines
Monty