View Full Version : Books on Refurbishing Boats

Stumpknocker
08-30-2007, 09:36 PM
are there any books on refurbishing boats?? I.E. common problems with older boats and how to fix those problems. Maybe techniques for extensive repairs and proper procedures.

I have been considering purchasing a project boat in the future, maybe a couple of years from now and I have been reading as much as I can on the internet so far, but a couple of good books is more mystyle.

reskewed
08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
I have not found any books on the subject, but I bet you could find some by searching on the internet!:D

Tom Powers
08-31-2007, 07:37 AM
West Systems epoxy has some mini-books on it that are pretty good. Here is a link

Instructional Publications (http://www.westsystem.info/inpu.html)

Tom

Stumpknocker
08-31-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys

ghrousseau
08-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Your boat may not be a Mako, but that website is a great source of information for glass work, wiring, transoms, stringers, ect. They have a lot of threads on member's project boats with photos and step by step.

Worth a look.

rrr
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Where should all get together and write a book.

"Idiots Guide to Fiberglass/Boat repair"

by The Tidalfish Gang.

pfoltz
09-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Runabout Renovation: How to Find and Fix Up an Old Fiberglass Speedboat by Jim Anderson. This is the book. Cheap, and easy to understand, which is important when you get dizzy off of the resin fumes!

$12 on amazon and well worth the money. Tells you what to look for when buying and how to do the job from start to finish.

Patrick

'69 Glaspar (My uncle's old boat which I pulled out a field and restored. Something special about fishing the same spots around HRBT in the same boat I did as a kid some 30 years ago....with the same Chrysler 70 horse motor!)

godwinfamily
10-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I got one from west marine for less than 10 bucks on fiberglass boat repair. It has step by step instructions for everything from replacing a transom to a stringer to an entire floor. There is also a multitude of information on little details like fixing a pulled screw or installing accessories. The best part is since it is by West systems it even tells you which particular product in thier line to use for the job. A great investment and you'll reference it quite often on a big project. I know West Systems epoxy can be a little more pricey than others, but you get what you pay for. Another good resource is Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. They sell airplane products and a lot of people that build home-built planes order form them. But their supply of fiberglass materials, literature and epoxy is awesome.