View Full Version : Well I'm thinking I might give this boat building a shot.

Pages : [1] 2

PaPa Bear
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
I live in York and while I enjoy my 2052 Trophy on the bay I want something to use in the lakes and such around my house. So I was considering making my own version of a Carolina skiff. Figure it would be easy to transport and should be too hard for a first try.

Dave

PaPa Bear
09-06-2007, 09:57 PM
No actually I haven't found skiff plans like a Carlina skiff. Most of the ones I've found look like a /\ type front end and I want the more flat bottom like the C Skiff. I was going to wing it. Coming up with designes for stuff off the top of my head is part of my job and this does not look like a complicated design. BUT if you know where I can find some C Skiff type plans I wouldn't mind getting hold of them.

Tom Powers
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Go to your local library and find some books by Philip Bolger. He has lots of simple designs that might fit your needs. They are pretty much plywood on frame boats.

Don't scoff at the boats with a pointy bow. For small lakes it is often good to have a boat that rows as well as it runs with a small kicker.

How big of a boat are you looking for. How many people? What capacity? How big of water?

Tom

FishingRod
09-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Have you checked out the plans for this boat?

Boat plan details, Garvey 18 (GF18), Power boats 17' to 20' (http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=GF18)

joc
09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Go to Saltfish & look for a post by Eight Knots. He lives near you & has a home built Dory. It looks like what you want. There is a pic in his sig. He's a pretty cool dude, but you will probably need the "Eight Knots to English" translation guide. Anyway, I'm sure he would be glad to show off his handiwork. He is currently involved in reclaiming some old barn lumber to build another boat. When you email him mention my name. BTW, his Dory is powered by an outboard, but it's in the [I]middle[I] of the boat.

mikie
09-07-2007, 09:05 AM
You might want to try looking up plans for a "Chincoteaque Scow". Was a very popular home built over the years and was the forerunner of the Carolina Skiff type hulls.

PaPa Bear
09-07-2007, 11:31 AM
The link posted by fishingrod looks like what I want. I'm not discounting a v hull (my Trophy is one) It just seems like the flat bottom would be a bit easier to start with.
Thanks guys.
Dave

rhahn427
09-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Dave ....... Whatever you do please consider the weight ........ I believe most of the lakes in your area ...... (at least the ones with the best fishing) only allow electric engines. The only lake that I can think of that allows small gas engines is Codorus. This is why most of the people elect to use the aluminium boats because they are lighter and will carry enough batteries to power the electrics to get the range.

I used to fish with electric engines exclusively and there use to be 10 lakes that were electric engine only within a hour of Baltimore. There are probably even more from York.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Rick

Tom Powers
09-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Having built both a pointy boat (Glouchester Gull), and a square front boat (A Garvey (sp) pram). The only added complexity is the one curved board at the bow of the boat. If you or a buddy has a half decent band saw you are set with that piece.

Oh and on the pram I had to steam two boards on each side to get them to fit. The lesson learned here is that nothing is square on a boat and lots of boards are curved or bent before you are done.

For small to medium sized (2-3 miles long) lakes pick a boat that rows nice.

Tom

rrr
09-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Papa-your right a flat bottom boat will be easy to build if you just wing it. Go for it. I can say 100% without a doubt that every step of a boat of that simplicity can be explained on here. We got alot of good guys more then willing to help. GO FOR IT!!!