View Full Version : Shikari Rods?????

Pages : [1] 2

Steve F
09-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Hey guys, has anyone heard of Shikari rods before? Merrick Tackle has them on sale “Dirt Cheep” but the only problem is they cannot give you any specs on them and I don’t like buying rod blanks without having something to go on. Just wondering if anyone has heard of them and how good are these rods.

BYRD
09-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I have made two shakari rods. They are great rods. Good blanks. Both of mine have a bluish color to them that really pops in the sunlight. A guy that builds rods part-time in my area always tries to get his customers to buy the shakari blanks. They are light and sturdy. AS mentioned I have made two. One a spinner and the other conventional. I put a 600 Shiimano Tekota reel on the conventional and have caught just about every type of fish that swims in the bay with that rod. The spinner has 5000 shimano spheros on it and it does a great job as well.

If they are selling those blanks for cheap then you should buy as many as you can!!

Steve F
09-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Byrd, I will have to say they are cheep $10.00 each but the shipping is $18.00 so it be wise to order a lot of them. When I talked to Linda at Merrick she said they do not have the specs on them and unless I have the specs it will be hard for me to build a rod for someone. She also said they are gray matted blanks but I would like to see a blue one that has to be sharp looking. She also said they have about 5000 in stock.

BYRD
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
The gray matte will have the same specs and action of the blue. May not be as pretty though. $10 is a steal.

Steve F
09-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Sea, I seen that Mudhole has those rods; I'll call up there and see if they have the model numbers for any of them. Thanks

Darren
09-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Shikari is just like anyother rod manufacturer, they make several lines of blanks. Some can be $10 or $20 and some are $300 to $400. That being said, it's anyone's guess which blank you are getting without a model number.

I've got a flounder rod built on one of their IM8 blanks and it is the most sensitive rod I have ever owned, period.

I am wondering if they have gone out of buisiness, their web site is down.

Steve F
09-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Rick the guy that started that post stopped by my house and he showed me the (19) rods he bought and some of them were not all that great. Some of the tips had some bad splinters that came back about 2” from the tip. The rods are not finished and the butt and tips need to be cut off. I found some stress marks on a few of the rods but all and all they were not that bad. The 6’ 6” were 6’ 8” and the 7’ rods were 7’3”. I think Rick is going to send some of them back and maybe get another batch and see how they are.

rhahn427
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Seahunter ......... I'm a total beginner ......... While I see your point ....... I can't see putting a whole lot of money into rod blanks while I'm learning about rodmaking. I bought a bunch of them to practice on, because I knew that I would find a few that would be pretty good and to be able to provide them for other TFr's at cost (because you have to be a company to buy there) in case others wanted to try there hand at building them without spending a mint.

These are totally unfinished rods for 10 bucks apiece instead of the $50+. These rods were not cut off or sanded or tagged or finished. Some of them were split on the ends which could be cutoff a couple of inches below the split, one had a double spline 2 had blemishes but most of the ones I'm replacing were the wrong action. Steve and I went thru all of them. We found 7 that were perfect and kept them.

I spoke with Scott at Merrick and expected a fight to return them and get a credit including postage. I was pleasantly surprised that he was very nice and was willing to do whatever I wanted .......... .return for refund or replacement.

Bottom line ....... I get higher quality blanks than most rack rods at a cheaper price to practice on and a few that are really good for finished rods for less money than a couple of finished blanks.

Shoot ....... Steve even liked 1 well enough to keep it.

Steve F
09-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Rich, I sanded that rod down and cut off the ends and put some finish on it and it does look and feel good. If you happen to get any more of them in 6'6" M/H plase let me know I think the one I have is going to be OK. It was also good talking to you the other night thanks for making the trip to Walkersville your welcome up in these parts anytime :thumbup:

rhahn427
09-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Guess my point is that some of these blanks are very good based on first hand evaluation . While there may be good $20 blanks out there, Shikari blanks seem to be in the $60 - $90 range and I got 7 great blanks out of the lot which is more than double in value of my cost.

I don't know what the problem is between Tom Kirkland and Merrick. All I can tell you is that Merrick has been more than fair with me. They are going above and beyond the call of duty to make me happy. They will be sending me another 13 rods at no charge to replace the ones that I don't like or give me a refund. I can't ask for more than that.

I can just tell you my experience with the blanks and the company. The evaluation of the blanks were by both me an Steve F.

As I said before, I did this for me to learn rodbuilding without spending a fortune and to allow other TFr's to do the same if they wish.