View Full Version : OT--fired Bill Gates--Now running Linux

Porkchunker
10-13-2007, 09:11 PM
I fired Bill Gates and have converted to linux at home. It is still not easy, but getting much better. In a few months I expect Linux to be as easy as Windoz to load. :clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, if you are not using Mozilla Firefox for a browser, shame on you. Most of the hacks against your machine come through IE and "Active X" controls. Firefox, doesn't understand Active-X, so most of those attacks are thwarted.

Now my next trick is to get all the old MS Office files shared by SAMBA so that Open Office can get at them.

tispho
10-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Linux is definitely easier to install. It's just a little bit more difficult to configure since everything is done by the terminal. Good luck with it; I dual boot Ubuntu, but find myself to be more comfortable using windows.

su2root
10-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Been running Ubuntu at home for about 6 months, with no problems.

Chris Surowiec
10-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Reading this on a Mac running Firefox and wouldn't have it any other way.

mgardner1
10-14-2007, 07:42 AM
Get a Mac next computer upgrade. With the intel architecture they are using now, you can run pretty much any OS you want to use. Of course, OS X is better than anything else anyway.

Mike

satterly
10-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Cross platform networking is getting alot easier than it used to be and without the dependency of dial up connections Linux is much easier without having to find a hardware driven modem instead of the winmodem. Amen to you for seeing the light! Now if only more people would see the light and migrate over to the dark side of Open Source OS's

Brandon
10-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey Pork

Your post reminded me to start his message board for us "geeks" who like to talk about this stuff and maybe we can help out some other Tidal Fishers as well.

I grew up on a Mac, used it all through college and my first Masters. Had to switch because of some business issues and have been on a IBM Thinkpad (tough as nails box) running Windows XP Professional. I love the IBM/Lenovo box( I am on my fifth one) and honestly while I am an open source guy, I have to say that this XP has been very stable, but I do always run Firefox and am working on Thunderbird to get rid of Outlook. I just wish they have a Blackberry API for the Thunderbird, that is the only thing holding me back, I like having everything synced.

Have said that, we have always keep an Apple in the house and have a Macbook Pro which is a little over two years old now.

I think my next computer will be a Mac now they have an office equivalent out. My brother just a new Macbook Pro totally juiced with all the options and the thing rocks. I'll be going there next for sure.

Brandon

FishStu
10-14-2007, 07:15 PM
I am a Foxfire user as well but I have been evaluating "Safari" . It's free from Apple.
Give it a look here :Apple - Safari 3 Public Beta - Download (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/)
Apple says it's the faster browser and it works well with XP.

Chumlord
10-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Mac is the only way to go. OS X is plain and simple, superior to anything Microsoft offers. I feel sad for Windows users!!!