View Full Version : Can you network MACs?

GDWindowpane
01-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Just wondering if you can set up a home network with MACs? Can you run MS Exchange 2003 on a MAC server? Do they even make MAC Servers? Can MACs control my DVRs and FIber TV through out the house? Do they have an "any" key? We have one person (Marketing Director) here at work that uses one. She seems pretty happy. Might want to give one a try.

creekdweller
01-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Hard to believe there are no responses to this thread. I will chiime in - but not because I am any authority on the subject. I have a home network that uses Verizon DSL for internet service, with a wireless router provided by Verizon. We had no problem tying in my daughters MAC BOOK to the home network - including wireless printers that are shared among a desktop and two other windows-based laptops. That said, I have not attempted to network any file sharing, etc. - Just printers and internet.

Dae
01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Yes Mac's can be networked together. I remember when I had a Mac IIx back in the mid 80's and my buddy and I would networks his to mine to swap software. Back then it was as simple as connecting them together via Appletalk ports. These days they are networked using ethernet or wireless like everything else.

Can they run MS Exchange?? I don't think MS has a version of Exchange for Mac OS, but Macs can run Windows, so if you did that, you could run Exchange.

Macs also can be used as servers. Mac OS X Server is specifically for that.

Can they control DVR and such??? I don't see why they couldn't as long as you had a way to connect and the software for it.

As for this "Key" thing, I have no idea what you're talking about, so I can't answer to it.

BTW, I haven't owned a Mac since the mid '90s, but know a few that use them. They're all graphic designers or artists. I'm thinking about getting one because I love the way Macs display graphics, but I don't want for fork over additional cash for software that I already have for PC.

- Dae

Chumlord
02-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah you can network them and they make mac servers. I don't know the advantages or capabilities of MS exchange but since switching to Apple several years ago I figure why would I want anything from Microsoft ever again

bottom scratcher
02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
If you run Windows NT, you can network a MAC by enabling Appletalk protocol. Alot of companies in the media industry and construction industry run that way.

Microsoft Corporation (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/proddocs/network/xns17.mspx?mfr=true)

akocan
02-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Yes you can network Macs together
No you can not run Exchange 2003 on a mac server. Exchange 2003 requires Active directory and thus you need a Window 2003 active directory server/domain controller.