View Full Version : flounder help??

Pages : [1] 2

drewman
01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
he guys i am gett excited for the begining of flounder season this spring in the lynnhaven river. i am used to fish with just a regular flounder rig with a peace of squid and a mino, if anyone has any succesfull ways of catching floundr i would love to hear them and i also need to know when flounder season starts

thanks for the help

ultangler
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Drewman -A great alternative method is to bounce a 4" chartruse paddle-tail grub rigged on a 1/2-oz leadhead. The paddle tails spin & dart when they fall, and the flounder love it. You need a light spinning or casting rod rigged with braid, and it'll be good down to about 20'. Any deeper, you need to up-size the jig head. Keep in moving fast & furious--always either falling or being pulled quickly upwards--and the flounder will smash it! I hate to sound like an ad, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that you might want to check out Keith Kaufman's new book, Flounder Fishing Tactics & Techniques. It's available at the link below, in my sig. Enjoy!

kevinbaucom
01-11-2008, 12:39 PM
the 4" gulp minows work great as well. 1/2 jig head. Deadly.

Sand Flea
01-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Once you get a few nice flounder and you go to fillet them - there is the "ridged" section that borders the outside edge of the fillet. Take your fillet knife and trim this piece away and keep it. On an avergae size flounder it can be an inch or so wide and 8-10 inches long. I use this as it creates a large strip bait in combination with you favorite bucktail flounder rig/spinner.

It smells good, awesome acion and tastes fishy. I keep them in a ziplock and freeze them and use as necessary - never keep them too long though unless vacuum sealed. let me know if you need a picture to the piece of fillet I am referring too.

Good luck!

drewman
01-14-2008, 08:39 PM
yea i would like to see a pic

Darren
01-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Don't forget that you will need a carcass to go with that strip bait.

Ancient Mariner
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Hi:
Try a DOORMATTER EXPRESS (chrome ball with two(2) hooks and T'ZERS. BOUNCE it along the bottom as you drift OR cast up into and under obstructions where the DOORMATS HANGOUT.
Add a 1/4 X 3 inch piece of MACK and a small Mud Minnow. HINT...HINt...HINT... Make sure the Mack fillet is in the hook SKIN SIDE UP.... I REPEAT...SKIN SIDE UP.
Hook the Minnow Up thru the BOTTOM JAW AND OUT NEXT TO EITHER EYE...That way the minnow will jump and keep on fighting the hook....IT'S LIKE RINGING THE DINNER BELL.
Another rod....Rig your SUPER DOORMATTER 8-10 inches ABOVE THE SINKER.
WHY????????????? 'Cuase FLOUNDER CAN'T SEE ahead. They see up and out. If you tie directly on the sinker ... YOU ARE COVERING ABOUT two(2) feet of bottom on the drift. Not a lot of bottom coverage.
8-10 INCHES ABOVE the sinker will cover 6-8 feet of BOTTOM on the drift.MMMMMMMM.
That ALONE will present your rig to MORE FLOUNDER. They will COME OFF THE BOTTOM ro INHALE YOUR BAIT!!!!!!!!
NOW add a 1/2 x 6 inch strip of Mack or squid on 4/0 KAHLE hook. WARNING...WARNING...WARNING... Always keep the Mack strip SKIN SIDE UP on your hook. Add a 3-5 inch Mud Minnow . Hook it Up thru the bottom jaw and out NEXT to an eye.
You can get more tips and hints from my website:
Custom saltwater fishing tackle & tips for sportfishing, trolling and bottom fishing. (http://www.ancientmarinertackle.com)
I can answer( I hope) any questions on this kind of fsihing as I fish for these fish from Mass down to Florida.
WACKM 'N STACKM
Joseph B...aka...Ancient Mariner

jimstan
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Ancient Mariner: I have been trying to get dialed in on the big flounder for some time now. I fish the Chesapeake Bay and CBBT out of VA Beach. With the new Reg's at 19 inch min. :helpsmilie: I need to try something new, after looking at your web site (great site, super tips) I think its time to to place my order. I will let you know how my season goes with your rigs.:fishing2:

AFISHN
03-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Ultangler advice:"A great alternative method is to bounce a 4" chartruse paddle-tail grub rigged on a 1/2-oz leadhead. The paddle tails spin & dart when they fall, and the flounder love it. You need a light spinning or casting rod rigged with braid, and it'll be good down to about 20'."

This is very effectve rig when fishing the shallows in early spring.Also try black flecked with red in clearer water

OffTheHook II
03-24-2008, 06:49 AM
My favorite.:D:D