View Full Version : Anyone used an air brush for powder paint?

DP
02-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I found this site and wondered if anyone has tried an air brush for powder paint.
If so how did it do or does it waste to much paint. Thanks DP

Powder Paint Air Brush | Powder Paint Air Gun | Airbrush Powder Paint | Powder Paint Spray Gun (http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/catalogue-items/tools/powder_paint_air_brush.htm)

HJS
02-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks like a good setup but I'm thinking that this air brush system is best suited for the guys making a living by making/selling lures from their basement.

I can do a passable 2-toned look using powder paint by stretching a swatch of my wife's nylon stocking over the mouth of the jar, finer the mesh the better. Hold it in place with a rubber band. Then I shake it very carefully like a salt shaker. Its difficult to get an even blended edge, but the finished product looks OK to me.

Darren
02-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I've used it. It work's ok, but put s a lot of powder in the air, and is pretty slow unless you are working on small stuff. For two toning, I put the white on with a fluid bed. Then I use a mixing bowl, put whatever color I want in it, fluff it up and then dip the head. I almost always finish off with a clear top coat with some sort of metallic flake in it.

You end up with something like these:

http://members.cox.net/jdfnav69/blueand%20white%20mojo.jpg

http://members.cox.net/jdfnav69/redandwhite%20mojo.jpg

rhahn427
02-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Darren ......... they look great guy !!!!! .

.......... but when you use the powder paint spray gun, how did you keep the lure hot enough........ I tried it on spoons and spinnerbait blades and I could never get then hot enough long enough to paint properly ........ I finally gave up and went back to the fluid bed .........

I've heard others have the same problem on other websites .....

Darren
02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
I used a small toaster over right beside where I was air brushing. I made a half way spray booth by taking a card board box and putting a suction on it with a wet dry vacuum. Your other option is to go to Harbor Freight or Northern and get an electrostatic spray rig. It uses an electrical charge instead of heat to adhere the paint. That way you don't need to use heat.

The candy colors look really nice when you put them over any type of smooth, shiney surface.

rhahn427
02-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Can you paint lead with the electrostatic method ?

DP
02-04-2008, 03:25 PM
They look good Darren, I take it you've done it a few times.

Darren
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Can you paint lead with the electrostatic method ?

I've never done it personally but I was told you can. I should check it out. The electrostatic chrome is much nicer than the powder I have been using.

Ray Parvis
02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
I purchased the air brush in your link and I was not impressed. It would clog allot and waste allot of powder. I had more success by dipping part of the lure or useing the nylon sprinkle method mentioned in this post.

Darren
02-24-2008, 11:33 PM
If you are clogging the air brush, more than likely you have some moisture coming in from your air supply. You'll need to run a fluid seperator in line to fix that problem.