View Full Version : Down Riggers???

Pages : [1] 2

Dyllan
02-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Anybody use these in the Chesapeake/Va. Bch. area? I have two that came with the boat I bought and just looking for advice on when, where, and what spec. you use them with??? Just trying to learn here.:helpsmilie:

27 sailfish
02-11-2008, 10:19 PM
They are great for alot of different fish.Try an umbrella for Rock :thumbup:.The best thing is you can get a lure deep but enjoy the fight of the fish without the heavy weight.

I've caught Blues/Sea Trout/Spanish/Rock on mine.Very easy to use and great if the area is crowded since your line goes straight down.

I like to set the ball at the same depth I see fish on the meter.The ball will ride a touch shallower then the counter shows.If you have a dual transducer-put it on the 50KH setting and you should see the balls ;-)-great to pinpoint the depth they are running. Skip

Dyllan
02-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes, I do have a dual tranducer...I'll give that I try the first time I use them. I've never used them before and I was wondering about how the line gets attached to the ball. I've got two diff. types... the one that clips on the line it has two rubber pads on it and you just clip in on like a cloths pin,,,, then there is another one that is just a metal clip bar which looks like it would let the line slide through it. Why is there a diff. and what ben. would the the metal bar/snap give?

27 sailfish
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM
The rubber pad one can be tricky to get just right.I like the Black release (pin) type.We rig ours about one foot above the ball.We put a crimp-then a bead-the release-then bead and crimp.The beads allow the clip to rotate if needed and keep the release from jamming on the crimps.I leave 1/8'' of slack between the beads/release.

Be sure to inspect your cable often.Any signs of fraying-cut it back 2 feet or so.

It takes a few trips to get the hang of it but once you do-you'll like them.If anyone at the ramp has one-ask them to show you the ins/outs.

Watch so the ball does not hit the boat in choppy water :rolleyes:. Skip

done workin
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Best thing about them, you know exactly how deep you are fishing.

Dyllan
02-13-2008, 08:01 AM
It came with some clips and the set you discribed is what the prev. owned did as well for the ball. But his is about 4' long so the ball never leaves the water,, or so he said. My question is about the metal clip.... unlike the pad that "hold the line" the clips look like the line will slide on it... meaning that if you lowered your rod tip, your lure would go further back from the ball...and vice a versa... The pads hold and stop the line from moving...... Just trying understand the diff. between the two.... Can you help. Also,, does the weights that look like a fish acct. have a noticeable reduction in drag then the reg. balls? I have 10lb. weights is this what I need?:helpsmilie:

SommerTime
02-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Can I ask another question concerning the down riggers! When I use the down riggers with wire line they will hum as the down rigger line passes through the water. I am not sure if this spooks the fish. I installed 200 LB Power Pro on one of the two down riggers and the Power Pro is silent. The question is does anyone know if the hum spooks fish?

done workin
02-15-2008, 07:40 AM
I had the same issue with the poor mans downriggers I made, just the cannon ball lowered by hand and secured to a cleat.

When I rigged it with the wire, the hum drove me nuts, don't know about the fish but I couldn't stand it. I swtiched to 150# mono and it went away and was easier on the hands with the bigger diameter. It trails a little in the water, but not too much.

SommerTime
02-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey Done Workin:

Thanks for your comment on the down rigger noise. I think I'll switch my second down rigger to power pro just to get rid of the noise-probably won't catch any fish with silent running down riggers:D

geeswanie
02-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Hey Done Workin:

Thanks for your comment on the down rigger noise. I think I'll switch my second down rigger to power pro just to get rid of the noise-probably won't catch any fish with silent running down riggers:D

For a variety of reasons, the fish won't spook with the wire downrigger line, anymore than any other line. But, that hum is annoying...sometimes it sounds like a fish has hit and the drag is screaming.

As for the clips, don't use the rubber-padded types for trophy-trolling. For the big baits required, especially umbrella rigs, it takes too much pressure. I've lost a number of very big fish (before I figured this out) because the rubber-padded clips have to be set with very high pressure, and when the fish strikes, it pulls the line through the rubber before the clip breaks. For mono line, this causes the line to fray, and subsequently the fish breaks off. You could use the hi-tech braid lines, which I tried, but the thinner diameter makes it difficult to set the pressure to where the clip will break at all.

Use Aftco roller clips. Much much better, a little different in how you use them, but they'll handle the bigger baits.

Just my 2 cents.