View Full Version : Replacing cable with Power Pro???

Dyllan
03-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Will 100lb. Power Pro be strong enough for my down riggers?

Thanks.......

kapnD
05-06-2008, 05:21 AM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing, though I would probably use a higher test line. Am wary of the knots slipping under the constant strain of pulling the ball. Has anyone tried crimps on power pro? Or know of a knot that absolutely wont slip? What about applying a crimp over a knot? It really hurts to loose a ball!!!

jfish
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
I would recommend 200# power pro.. I replaced my cable several years ago with 200 for offshore planners #12-#14 at tuna speeds and it holds. Theres not that much difference in the dia of 200 from 100 so go for the sure thing.

Dyllan
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Just to let you guys know,,,, I did replace my cable with 200lb. power pro.... Not a good idea I found out!!! I broke my down rigger spool. The braided line gets so tight when you spool your line back up from the water that it sinches itself so tight it broke the sides off the spool on the down rigger. Happen the first time I used it.... thank God I only had one out. Left the other alone and have put the cable wire back on.... Now I have a mess load of 200lb. power pro........ I'm sure I'll find a use for it....

kapoc
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
The deal with it is you have to pack it on TIGHT from the get go, it is going to require 2 people and the line handler usally needs to have some AS$ behind him. Or you can deploy the ball and then tie it off till you get it made up on the spool then crank it on.

Phishphinder
11-15-2008, 12:04 PM
No stretch ! rough on the hardware no to mention the hands... Whats wrong with MONO.

Reel Draggin Tackle
01-11-2009, 08:53 AM
We have used 200# PP for year on our Penn Downriggers, both in the bay and offshore. I have 300 feet on both. We put the line on quickly and went offshore, once over 300 feet the first thing we did stop, and deploy all of the downrigger line with a 13# ball and then wind it back on. Once done with both down riggers we were set. Pulling cannon balls up at speed should be no problem. If you are using wings or planers, you HAVE to slow down to reduce the drag or you will break stuff. Power Pro is the way to go, no question about it.

kapnD
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Hey Capn Ken,
What knot did you use on the terminal end? Any kind of chafe gear? I want to run planers on Power Pro, sometimes at higher speeds, and am concerned about the vibration working the knot loose or fraying the line where it passes through the ring.
I think power pro will let me keep maximum depth by decreasing line drag at higher speeds.
Another thing I learned is that painting the planers a dull dark color is mandatory if there are large marlin and ono around!!!
Thanks, Don

marshalljr
02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
We have used 200# PP for year on our Penn Downriggers, both in the bay and offshore. I have 300 feet on both. We put the line on quickly and went offshore, once over 300 feet the first thing we did stop, and deploy all of the downrigger line with a 13# ball and then wind it back on. Once done with both down riggers we were set. Pulling cannon balls up at speed should be no problem. If you are using wings or planers, you HAVE to slow down to reduce the drag or you will break stuff. Power Pro is the way to go, no question about it.

How are you riggin this set up.....?