Tidal Fish Forum banner

First(Second Actually) Thread

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Hakuna Matata 
#1 ·
Since I've purchased my first HMS permit this year, I'd like to see some of the rigs you experts wouldn't dare leave port without. Also if you don't mind, I'd appreciate some info on trolling spreads as well.

adTHANKSvance

-JB

First thread WooHoo!

#5 ·
I had the bright idea to try and use my Striper gear out there just to see if I actually need to invest in more lures, but I guess I should at least take a few proven lures with me. My rod/reel set-ups are also relatively light so I'm also considering a couple Penn 330's, but I want to at least get my feet wet before I run out and buy a bunch of tackle.

What se ye?

For now I have on the "lures to buy list"

cedar plug(any particular brand?)
green machine(what the hell is that?!)
strech 30

Bill- are your bally's real? If so, then do the fake one's do any good?

-JB

#6 ·
Bay tackle may catch something because anything is possible but its not the first choice. When trolling 5k or more you keep most of the lures on the top. Bmail me and maybe we can hook up I have alot of stuff sitting around that could get you started.

I make most of my own stuff. Wahoo wacker is a lure you can buy so when your trolling it goes deeper and stay at that depth.

#9 ·
Too late! I just placed an order from boatersworld.com for two penn 330 $99 specials, a "green machine" and a floating gaff. I'll pick up a cedar plug and a strech 30 in the next few weeks. Awhile back Bass Pro had an entire bin full of discounted strech 40's with a few odd color 30's mixed in. They were on sale for like $5. Wish I would've picked one up then.

-JB

#11 ·
Save those rods for the bay, your asking for trouble if you use them offshore as stated before. I have some simano 30 wlsra with rods for sale on the classified. They are brand new. Cost 1600.00 selling for 900.00 2rods and 2 reels

#13 · (Edited)
Ok guys I've decided (with alot of input from the guys here) to break the bank and buy two TLD 25 combo's. I also picked up a natural cedar plug, a chartuese skirted bait with a clear head, and a blue/white skirted bait with a clear head. So for offshore baits I now have:

one natural cedar plug
two skirted baits
one green machine
chartuese stretch 18

All of these baits came pre-rigged with heavy mono(except the stretch), so should I simply attach them to a 50/60 lb swivel and directly to the line or should I add weight?

-JB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.